Spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can you have a spotted puffer from the freshwater department in a saltwater tank

They do best in brackish water about 1.016 salinity. I have heard of people slowly acclimitising them to full marine but only for short periods. Aggressive little buggers too.

If you are talkinv about the green spotted puffer, then yes they do best in saltwater in captivity. Keeping high bracking water is too expensive to keep up with weekly water changes. In saltwater, you have skimmers and chaeto to decrease the amount and frequencu of weekly water changes.

If you bought one from the lfs in a freshwater tank, then drip acclimate them into saltwater. Research drip acclimation for these fish and you will find your answer. This has been done successfully by many hobbyist

So would it be okay too put in my tank with a lion, lunar, coral beauty and some damsels that will prob be eatin by the lion one day or another? And I believe since its in a Wal-mart for about 5 bucks its in totally fresh water!!

I would QT the puffer first. The Walmart puffers are not healthh at all.

No garuantee on whether the puffer is compatible with the other fishes.

I believe I'm gonna pass on him! It's just that my closest salt water store is 2 hours away so I figured I might try but I hAve read allot about them this morning so I'm gonna pass

Back
Top Bottom