Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spraybars

I've got an Eheim 2327/84 which has a spraybar on the output, and I'm getting lots of tiny bubbles being blown out by it. No apparent air leaks etc.

Where do you guys position your spraybars, those that have them? Vertically or horizontally? Close to the surface or lower down?

Thinking of putting it fairly low down and vertical to try and get rid of the bubbles - it's just under the suface and horizontal at the moment.

What do you think?

Old 04-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a spraybar on my 404 I run it vertical and just under the water so I can control the air bubble some is good but alot is way to much, plus that way I know when to top off when the bubbles get out of hand.

I feel the bars give much better water flow than just a spout, bang for buck ya know

Old 04-15-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, thanks for the reply!

so you have the top of the spraybar just under waterlevel? I assume the further you move it down the less bubbles you get? Should I be getting just a few bubbles then, barely noticeable? I'm getting quite a lot now, if you get close to the tank they look awful!

I'd have to lengthen the pipe going to the spraybar if I was to mount it vertically (for physical reasons), and you're meant to have the input and output pipes approx the same length aren't you? They wouldn't be if I did this, the output would be quite a bit longer. Would taking the pipe from the right of my tank to the left, then securing the spraybar at the other side (the left hand side) vertically, be a problem? Would there still be enough power in the water left for it to shoot out of the spray bar as normal, even though it'd be going up, across, then down?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

here is what I have intake is about 1ft full depth of tank, out to fluval on the ground.Back up into the tank, I have a "U" shaped bracket for the intake out take that hangs over the edge of the tank.On the inside of the tank (on the bracket) I have a 90degree elbow and my srpay bar. Since the spray bar sits below the water level (due to the 90 elbow) I stick the top 1-2 spray hole on the end of the bar out of the water for air. If I run it level with the ground under the water I get 99.9% no air coming out.

I am unsure of how air could be getting into the lines if that where the case you'd most probablly be leaking water.

Hope that helped a little

Jake
Old 04-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I am unsure of how air could be getting into the lines if that where the case you'd most probablly be leaking water.
Actualy, due to the perfume bottle effect, the high velocity of the water pulls air INTO the plumbing so he could in fact be getting air bubbles without leaking water. This is actually the cause of most micro bubble problems (from what i hear).
Old 04-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK....so would putting my spraybar further down cure it?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

that will only help if the air leak would then end up under the water. I'm not sure I understand exactly how your spary bar is currently installed. Is the bar above the water or below it? I would think you'd want the spray bar at least an inch or two below the water surface. If you have it close to the surface then I could see it drawing air bubbles into the water stream as its flowing. If the bar is currently above the water then that is deffinitely why you're getting a lot of bubbles...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com