Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sps acclimation help?

Hey everyone! I have a few questions on acclimation. My girlfriend ordered me some frags online and I had her tell me which ones she picked out to have an idea what I'm gonna be dealing with. They're suppose to get in tomorrow so hopefully some of you could help me by then. She ordered me some pretty "advanced" corals and I'm still kinda new to this hobby so please give me details lol. First and probably the hardest to keep from what I read is a blueberry gorgonia. I understand they don't need light and do need good flow but is light bad for it? It's gonna be kinda hard to place it in a spot with low light and high flow since my tank is shallow (most of the flow goes across the top). She also got me a Duncan, alveopora, and some type of acropora please help me on how to acclimate these right cause she would be bummed if they died lol... Oh, and I think she got me a bubble tip anemone if anyone has any tips on how to acclimate that. Thanks a bunch

Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm sorry, let me also add that I need placement help as well

Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe you should check out the beginners corals next time and don't let your gf order corals just because they look pretty and not knowing anything about the care involved..
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22 View Post
Maybe you should check out the beginners corals next time and don't let your gf order corals just because they look pretty.
Not really the feedback i need but thanks.. It was a surprise birthday gift btw
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to be blunt like that.. The easiest one you have ordered is the duncan.. Pretty hardy coral so that should be fine.. What lights do you have and how is your water? Acro need pretty clean water to thrive and high lighting.. No experience with the goni or alveopora although from reading about them in the past, they will require a lot of your attention.

Very nice of your gf to do this, I just know that if I let my wife pick out all of my livestock I would have a 55g full of tangs and extremely difficult corals.

Btw, I acclimated my duncan using drip method for probably about two hours.. Over kill but It works.. It's on the bottom of my tank with moderate flow and doing great
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Maybe you should check out the beginners corals next time and don't let your gf order corals just because they look pretty and not knowing anything about the care involved..
I agree but

let me start off by saying happy birthday

acclimation:

always acclimate corals with tank lights off
it helps prevent stress
float your corals in bag for 20 min
than open bag and put in a small pail get a piece of air line and drip acclimate
them another 15 min
place all new coral in tank with lights off on sand bed let them slowly settle in slowly introducing light over next day or so than after that you can slowly start to move them up if you like your coral will tell you if it likes where you put it by the way it reacts
best of luck with your new corals
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can go to liveaquaria.com and look up your corals and the suggested care...I bet your gf is awesome and I'm sure you'll enjoy the gifts...good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Sorry to be blunt like that.. The easiest one you have ordered is the duncan.. Pretty hardy coral so that should be fine.. What lights do you have and how is your water? Acro need pretty clean water to thrive and high lighting.. No experience with the goni or alveopora although from reading about them in the past, they will require a lot of your attention.

Very nice of your gf to do this, I just know that if I let my wife pick out all of my livestock I would have a 55g full of tangs and extremely difficult corals.

Btw, I acclimated my duncan using drip method for probably about two hours.. Over kill but It works.. It's on the bottom of my tank with moderate flow and doing great
No worries, blunt is good but useful input is better lol... I'm running an 8 bulb t5 teklight and the waters fine, keep the temp at around 80-81 ph 8.20-8.40 salinity at about 1.025 and parameters are fine last time I checked including calcium.

Yea she's a good girl, she didn't mean to buy corals only jacques cousteau could keep alive lol
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post

I agree but

let me start off by saying happy birthday

acclimation:

always acclimate corals with tank lights off
it helps prevent stress
float your corals in bag for 20 min
than open bag and put in a small pail get a piece of air line and drip acclimate
them another 15 min
place all new coral in tank with lights off on sand bed let them slowly settle in slowly introducing light over next day or so than after that you can slowly start to move them up if you like your coral will tell you if it likes where you put it by the way it reacts
best of luck with your new corals
Thank you!

So they only need 15mins of drip? And should I put them all on the sand, even the apropora?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Actually, with that lighting you should be able to keep sps easily. Acclimation of sps is simple. Simply remove them from what it came in, dip it in some coral dip if you have any but it isn't necessary, and place them into the tank. Since your lights aren't dim-able, I would put it low and slowly start moving it up higher in the tank to get the lighting necessary to get sps to thrive.

Now, actually reading you talk about a blueberry gorgorian. These guys are non-photosynthetic. You'll need to target feed it daily and have a good amount of flow around it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acclimation, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com