Sps coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I am still learning thanks for the info. What type of sps should I look for to see if these lights have enough to get the job done.

That acro will let you know. Acros usually need very high amounts of light and flow compared to some other sps

I would suggest some medium lighting requirement SPS. Many will chime in. There are some acros, chalices and several others that don't require a lot of PAR.

I wish I knew what kind of acro I have I have seen a pic posted of one very similar it was called a force field acro I believe.

Nice piece! Where can I get some of these deep water acros?

No, they aren't deep water. My point was there are some varieties of hard corals that don't need crazy bright illumination. I've had acros accidentally volunteer on egg crate where I hold the corals in low light to acclimate them. They grew like weeds in a area I wouldn't have dreamed had enough light.

No, they aren't deep water. My point was there are some varieties of hard corals that don't need crazy bright illumination. I've had acros accidentally volunteer on egg crate where I hold the corals in low light to acclimate them. They grew like weeds in a area I wouldn't have dreamed had enough light.

Yes there are definitely easier, less light demanding species lol. Sorry was just saying deepwater are one sort that don't need as much light. Any aqua cultured acros are gonna be easier to grow and hardier than wild specimens. That's why I only buy small aqua cultured frags :)

Oh ok, I misunderstood then as well. Thx for the info

I'm currently using a T5 fixture right now that puts out as much lumens and PAR as a 400 watt halide, but spans a 4' area. I don't see how that could be called moderate lighting. ;)

In the general scheme of things, I consider the T5's to be fine for almost all corals if the fixture is matched to the tank depth. But not all T5's are made equal, or bulbs, like any other lighting source. I don't think they penetrate as well as MH or LEDs in most set ups.

That's why I class them as a "moderate" light source. JIMO :)

Back
Top Bottom