Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #31
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Activated carbon is completely different, it absorbs chemicals, and tds (total dissolved solids)
TDS? You may want to read this....
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 1: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
"The precise chemical species that GAC removes have not been determined. Rather, the catchall phrases "DOC" (dissolved organic carbon) and/or
"marine humic/fulvic acids" are frequently employed to categorize the uncharacterizable (Holmes-Farley, 2004; Bingman, 1996; Rashid, 1985; Romankevich, 1984). In fact, both descriptors have little intrinsic meaning and give no insight into the actual chemicals involved."

And the 2nd part of that great article on carbon.
Feature Article: Granular Activated Carbon, Part 2: Modeling of Operational Parameters for Dissolved Organic Carbon Removal from Marine Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm, guess I've always just thought of carbon on the water purification side, not saltwater side. If you don't mind me asking, what was your summary of the article. It seemed to just confuse me even more. It almost seemed their goal was to use find the correct amount of carbon to reduce doc by 90%.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #33
SW 20 & Over Club

Haha....Ken's articles have a tendancy to do just that. Extremely scientific but somewhat confusing. The general conclusion of that article is using a high grade carbon and changing it often will result in lower DOC's.

Carbon has a very minor effect on dropping the TDS in water simply because the pore size is too large to catch most of the dissolved solids. This is why a RO membrane is so effective in reaching a 0 TDS state. It's small pore size catches virtually all the dissolved solids.

And back to why I am trying bio pellets instead of carbon. There is always more than 1 way to accomplish something. We are trying to get lower TOC's (total organic carbons) in our tanks. GAC is 1 way, as proved in that article. Carbon dosing (running bio pellets) is another. If you want a little more head spinning, read this....
Feature Article: Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water: Baseline Values and Modulation by Carbon Dosing, Protein Skimming, and Granular Activated Carbon Filtration — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
"The bottom line with respect to the carbon dosing hypothesis is clear; the basic tenets of this theory appear to hold up to experimental scrutiny; carbon dosing does increase water column bacteria populations, and skimming does remove some bacteria with their attendant nutrient loads. Thus, the underlying science behind this approach to nutrient export appears valid."
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
That lamark angel is beautiful. I just wish that there was a dwarf angel that is reef safe!!!!
The cherub and African flameback are reef safe
Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Wonderful information and thanks. I feel I have my dissolved solids and organics well under control. As I mentioned, my goal was to remove toxins produced by the corals themselves and activated carbon was the only way I knew to do this other than massive water changes. I may be worrying about it too much, but as I increase my coral load, I wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing. Because I work in emergency management, I tend to go for a "belt and suspenders" approach to everything. The bio pellets might replace my fluidized sand filter at some point as I am worried about the affects a power outage could have on the sand filter.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #36
SW 20 & Over Club

Sounds like you have everything under control.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have a long way to get back to where I use to be with SPS.

Tags
calcium, coral, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com