SPS coral and calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay...to the SPS guys on the forum. I dose B-Ionic with a doser, but also add Kalkwasser. Is everything I need for SPS growth in the B-Ionic and I am wasting time with the Kalkwasser?

SPS don't just need calcium, they need strontium and and regular trace elements, so really you'll need to dose atleast 3 different elements

Gti_Leo said:
SPS don't just need calcium, they need strontium and and regular trace elements, so really you'll need to dose atleast 3 different elements

Do you think the biweekly water changes are good enough, with calcium supplementation? I can test for calcium, but not the others,

The kalk is probably helping you maintain your mag levels (and to a lesser degree your strontium level since kalk does contain both). Keep in mind when a coral grows it's hard, calcium carbonate skeleton, it uses a ratio of aprox 18ppm calcium to 1 meq/l (2.8dKH) alk to 2ppm magnesium. You can probably stop using kalk, but if you have the need to dose calcium and alk, you also have a need to dose magnesium (even tho the amount needed is aprox 9x less than what you dose in calcium).
For example, say your calcium is 420, alk 10 dKH and mag 1350, if the calcium drops to 402, the alk will drop to 7.2 dKH and mag down to 1348.
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited:
So what is the best way to just add the magnesium? Easier than dosing kalkwasser? I've used the supplements before, is there something better?

Gregcoyote said:
Okay...to the SPS guys on the forum. I dose B-Ionic with a doser, but also add Kalkwasser. Is everything I need for SPS growth in the B-Ionic and I am wasting time with the Kalkwasser?

I've been growing sps for years under many different conditions. One of the main things I think people don't know or maybe just overlook is "most" sps are meat eaters and need to be fed for best growth and color. When I started feeding daily, that's when my level of success went from average to great. In fact, I noticed much better color, faster growth, and a slightly less dependence on light....(so far on the light but I may change my mind later). So yes supplements are important, but also feed. Feeding sps can be hard on the system, so watch water quality closely. For me, I've had best results feeding Reef Nutrition products, specifically roti-feast, oyster feast and arctic pods. On your question of b-ionic, or other 2 part dosing systems, read the guaranteed analysis. You usually fare better by buying individual supplements. I try and only dose with chloride products, hydroxide takes to much time and product. I then use a kh powder buffer to stay around 11dkh. I maintain calcium 450 ppm, magnesium to 1500 ppm, strontium to 9 ppm, potassium to 400 ppm, iodine (lugols solution) to 0.04 ppm. Notice the ppm level of each. Mag is the highest. Three times as high as calcium. That shows its importance. Monitor it closely, once it starts dropping it can be a pain to bring back up. Expensive too. Also watch iodine. It is very important. Many are scared or against it, but it is needed. Being such a low concentration (0.03 nsw) it gets skimmed out or pulled by carbon quickly. Next, try not to run carbon if possible, I don't. It just pulls to much "good and bad stuff" out. I would recommend "over skimming" instead. Last, don't waste your time with trace elements. It's a fraud. Water changes provide what you need, and trace elements are different with every company. I've never used them. I have or have grown many different types of sps including acropora, montipora, stylophora, pocillopora, seriatopora, porites, pavona, and a couple which I still can't identify. Also it's off topic, but nitrates and phosphates must, must, be true zero or as close as possible. No, "my test reads zero but I have an uncontrollable hair algae problem". For many of the above types of sps, be cautious with LEDs, I have LEDs on one tank with some luck, but I still don't fully recommend any types of LEDs yet for sps. Looks promising so far though. If you must use LEDs, keep up on feedings. Ultimately, if you focus on water quality, light, food, current (flow or movement), ph of 8.4, salinity / specific gravity (1.026 for me), and a stable temp, you will succeed. Just give them plenty of room to grow, I always get excited and pack them to close together and end up regretting it later. If I can grow them, anyone can.

So what is the best way to just add the magnesium? Easier than dosing kalkwasser? I've used the supplements before, is there something better?
The cheapest mag additive is epsom salts from your local drug store. ;)
Read the article I posted.

corals feed off the water, they don't need to actually be fed, the only reason people feed them is when water conditions are poor and lighting conditions are not up to SPS standards, but this is still only a temperary solution to a problem that has to be corrected in order for them to survive

also if you are goign to feed your corals a daily feeding is not required and you're just putting more nutrients into the water. a weekly feeding or a twice a week feedign is all they really need

there is no need to, i am right now in the process of preping my aquarium for a reef, i just have to get my fuge up and running, but in the mean time i have done my homework on how to keep corals.

as i stated corals feed off the water and will obsorb disolved organics that are in the water columb, just like any other filter feeder will do. even those LPS corals with large mouths will do this and will not require feedings, thats not to say that you cant do it, but a daily feeding of this is not required and will not really benifit anything except nuisance algaes

Algae in the corals tissue makes sugars. Good for energy, but not as good for laying down new tissues. I agree that feeding does help, I have seen this in my reef. I use oyster and phytoplankton for this every other day.

Thanks for all the good info!

Gregcoyote said:
Algae in the corals tissue makes sugars. Good for energy, but not as good for laying down new tissues. I agree that feeding does help, I have seen this in my reef. I use oyster and phytoplankton for this every other day.

Thanks for all the good info!

Agree with Gregg,I add some phytoplankton every third day or so.I also feed some live Artemia nauplil (live brine shrimp)every few days.Corals love it,and I have had more growth since I started doing it.

Ricksreef said:
Agree with Gregg,I add some phytoplankton every third day or so.I also feed some live Artemia nauplil (live brine shrimp)every few days.Corals love it,and I have had more growth since I started doing it.

No offense to anyone,but I will go with experienced advice from people with proven hands on personal results over others.To much conflicting information from the Internet.
Just my opinion.

Ricksreef said:
No offense to anyone,but I will go with experienced advice from people with proven hands on personal results over others.To much conflicting information from the Internet.
Just my opinion.

And what are we? I have over 2 decades doing this. If you don't trust our advise, don't ask for it. Not everything is known in this hobby, so there is room for different opinions. Make up your own mind as to what works for you.

Gregcoyote said:
And what are we? I have over 2 decades doing this. If you don't trust our advise, don't ask for it. Not everything is known in this hobby, so there is room for different opinions. Make up your own mind as to what works for you.

I only have six years,that is why I try to only advise on what I know from my personal experience.That's why I agreed with your answer,because I know you have the knowledge from experience.
New members seem to think because someone has 2000 to 3000 posts that they are experts,even though they have only been doing SW a few months and have had big problems.

I'm getting to the point that I'll just quit trying to help.

Dispute here guys.How many years experience in SW and show us your tanks.LOL
Aprox 22 years keeping a reef tank. ;)
fts-l-r_7-19-10.jpg

fts-r-l_7-19-10.jpg

fts_8-27-10.jpg

And yours.....

Ricksreef said:
I only have six years,that is why I try to only advise on what I know from my personal experience.That's why I agreed with your answer,because I know you have the knowledge from experience.
New members seem to think because someone has 2000 to 3000 posts that they are experts,even though they have only been doing SW a few months and have had big problems.

I'm getting to the point that I'll just quit trying to help.

Don't do that. Unlike politics today, a debate is where the truth is found out. I have learned a lot in the short time I have been on this forum. Also made a few fishy friends.

Back
Top Bottom