SPS corals and Clams under PC lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about upgrading to a 60gal tank. The dims are 48Lx15Wx20H.

I found a PC Current PC fixture that a 4x130. Would SPS and clams be able to thrive in this lighting.

I have been successful at keeping LPS and an anenome, so I am pretty comfortable with my tank husbandry.

Thanks

John

yeah,

thats what I was thinking, but I firured that if I placed it high enough in the tank, i may be ok.

I was hoping someone out there has kept SPS's under strong PC lighting.

Thanks though.

John

You might be okay with some SPS's and with some clams. For the most part I think SPS need VHO's or MH's. HTH

Depending on species you may be okay. For clams T. crocea should do okay if placed high on the rock work. For coral stick with pocillopora or montipora species.

I just bought a 96 watt CF for my 10 gal.

I want a clam for 2 reasons

1. They looks COOL!

2. No Nitrates!

Will he be able to thrive under 9.6 watts per gallon of CF lighting on the bottom, due to the fact the tank is only 12" tall?

Also, can I keep SPS corals under this light?

The only down side to getting some SPS's under PC's is that some of them loose their color and just turn brown. They are still alive and doing well, it's just that they loose their color. I had a montipora for a while but it turned from purple to brown and I just wasnt diggin the brown. The polyps still came out and looked like it was doing okay.

The only down side to getting some SPS's under PC's is that some of them loose their color and just turn brown. They are still alive and doing well, it's just that they loose their color. I had a montipora for a while but it turned from purple to brown and I just wasnt diggin the brown. The polyps still came out and looked like it was doing okay.

Now i know why i have brown SPS! HAHA. I got 2 tiny SPS frags for free from a LFS. The polyps come out and look healthy but they are brown. XD

I thought I read somewhere that if they loose their color (turn brown) that they are not getting enough light. Wouldn't that be a bad sign. Because that is what I look for.

That is true. They aren't getting enough light to feed the organisms that give the coral their bright colors. The brown ones I guess thrive off of the lower light and is why they turn that brown color. That is what I've been told anyway.

in the case of a clam it takes a long time to show any signs of illness so I look for any color changes at all. If it turns brown wouldnt that be to late? I check everything off and on all day long with a magnifying glass and look for anything different. (I know I spend more time watching my tank than anything else) and as long as everything is well I am alright.

I was refering to corals only. I think with the clams by the time its brown I think it'd be too late. ;)

okay so with some corals if they turn brown you still have a good chance with them? Maybe move them or something? I just dont want to freak out or think that they are dead if I see this.
Thanx

If the polyps are still coming out and its turning brown then I'd say yes move it to a place with better lighting and it should have a chance. Hopefully it will get its color back within a couple of weeks or so. I gave my montipora to a friend who has halides becuase I didnt want a brown coral. Anyway I'll keep you posted to let you guys know how long it takes for them to regain their color. That is unless someone else might now. :)

The only down side to getting some SPS's under PC's is that some of them loose their color and just turn brown.
Exactly. It's not really worth paying all that money for brightly colored pieces if you can't keep them healthy. Some SPS species like Hydnophora, Stylophora, and Montipora can be kept under fluorescents and remain fairly colorful and healthy. Stay away from Acropora SPS's for sure and Crocea clams. Squamosa, Derasa, and Hippo clams are all much better suited for aquariums using fluorescent lighting.

Stay away from Acropora SPS's for sure and Crocea clams. Squamosa, Derasa, and Hippo clams are all much better suited for aquariums using fluorescent lighting.
Very true, however, keep in mind that squamosa and derasa prefer to dwell in the substrate. As such, they still require a bit stronger light to reach them, despite being considered lower-light species. Species like crocea do require more light, but als prefer to dwell on the rockwork. Placing them high in the tank under the right amount of CF can sufice as well. Either way, as with any livestock, just make sure you provide what the animal needs to survive and thrive.

Lando said:
As such, they still require a bit stronger light to reach them, despite being considered lower-light species. Species like crocea do require more light, but als prefer to dwell on the rockwork. Placing them high in the tank under the right amount of CF can sufice as well.
I strongly and respectfully disagree Lando. That's the same as saying high light SPS's, such as Acros, will thrive in the top of tanks w/ PC's. WPG, etc. does not matter in these cases -it's intensity. Even w/ the same WPG you will not have the same light intensity when comparing MH vs. PC, VHO, or T5 fluorescents. As I said this is my personal experience as well as information I've gathered through various sources whether it be retailers care requirements, online forums/articles or books on inverts. Crocea's being found near the top of the reef structure, as are Acro's, is proof of the extreme amount of light they are adapted to and need to thrive. That is part of what causes their desirable coloration patterns, although other species IMO are just as attractive and much better suited for tanks with out MH.

I strongly and respectfully disagree Lando.
(y) No worries, that is part of what this site a good one.
I have, as well as others on this forum, successfully kept a crocea under CF lighting in my first reef tank. It did great. When I upgraded to a larger tank, the thought of attempting to pentrate that much more water and depth with CF never even occured to me. I knew a lighting upgrade was needed. There are simply too many variable to consider.

Back
Top Bottom