SPS Corals and Softies in the same tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

So I was reading in another post that it is usually not a good idea to mix SPS and softies in the same tank. I am currently planning to upgrade my tank from a 37g to a 48” 75g and I wanted to keep across.

I currently have 2 softies, a colt coral and a devils hand leather. I also have 2 LPS corals, a green open brain and a red open brain. I currently run carbon, but I am not sure if I will on the new tank. The new system will have a sump and a separate fuge.

Do I need to get rid of the colt and the devils hand? How about the LPS’s? I also have a BTA? All are thriving right now, but I never heard of any problems with mixing corals.

Thanks

John

There can be huge problems mixing corals. These corals are not found in the same areas of the reef. Alleopathy, or chemical warfare, has been the undoing of many corals and even whole tanks.

It can certainly be done but I would definitely keep running carbon. Leathers, shrooms and zoos all can be very toxic within our small systems.

They also use different lighting

yeah, I knew about the lighting. I am currently running PC lighting and was going to upgrade to MH/PC lighting when I move tanks. I figured i would be ok if I kept the colt and devils hand towards the bottom of the tank. Tank will be 20" high and be lit wth 2x150 10K MH and 2x130 Actinic PC

I know lots of folks that keep a mixed reef, key is coral placement. Even in a tank with LPS and soft corals placement is the key part.

My plan is to have one side of the tank very rocky, bare bottom, maybe almost halfway across the lenth of tank. This area was going to become my SPS area.

The middle of the tank would be a sand "valley" for my green open brain.

The last 1/3 of the tank would be speratic rockwork, and I will keep my sofites and the rock where my BTA has attached over there.

Would something like this work?

are there any concerns about keeping a clam in a tank with soft corals?

Its a little hard to explain, but I am just trying to not have a rock wall in my tank.

Thanks

John

Remember, chemical warfare happens no matter where they are in the tank. Be diligent with carbon and water changes.

Why r u keeping the SPS section BB

I am trying to replicate the start (or end) of a reef, thats why the speratic rock work on one side and the very rocky section on the other. I like the look sand substrates, just trying to keep it a little different.

I guess bare bottom is the wrong description. its more like rocky substrate and it will transition into the sand region. So it really wont be bare, just no sand. Does this make sense.

Remember, chemical warfare happens no matter where they are in the tank. Be diligent with carbon and water changes.

I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the tip.

One thing you have to be careful of is your BTA. It can still roam around and sting your corals. I'm sure you're already aware of this, but if you have a BB tank on one side with nothing but corals on that side, you may run into problems with the BTA traveling over there stinging things and knocking them over. Just something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom