sps placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok after a very long algae battle i finally won(i mean very long) now my tank is looking good and i will be be picking up some sps(green birds nest, orange cap., and a digitata) what would be the best placement for these as in the past i have lost some because of wrong placement

55 gal(standard) with two 175watt metal halides with t5 actinic halides are 5" off water surface. and halides are on for 4 hours a day.

I would suggest about mid range. I have some medium range SPS corals for my VHO`s.

ill start them low and go from there i have them in my sump right now as i didn't have time to put it in the main tank.

I would suggest raising those bulbs to 10" off the water. Having them that close reduces the "spread" of light in the tank and creates heat issues. Dual 175s on a 55 will give you enough light to house SPS near the bottom of the tank so you shouldn't have issues where ever you place the corals.

i cant have them any higher cause the canopy wasn't built that high i cause i build one later but the light hit every part of the tank and i know its enough for sps but im was afraid of putting them to high and burn them but right now the at the bottom and are doing fine

Back
Top Bottom