SPS Polyp Growth Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm curious if anyone has ever tested this or if there is any science behind it already proven. So the question is if you grew say a slimer frag at the lowest possible calcium and alkalinity levels possible to keep alive would you have a closer/denser polyp growth compared to say running at the peaks of those levels?

Mrc8858 said:
So I'm curious if anyone has ever tested this or if there is any science behind it already proven. So the question is if you grew say a slimer frag at the lowest possible calcium and alkalinity levels possible to keep alive would you have a closer/denser polyp growth compared to say running at the peaks of those levels?

No where have i come across any info suggesting polyp spacing has anything to do with calcium and alk levels. Would be an interesting read if ya find anything.

I do see where you logic is coming from however not sure it works like that but honestly cant say either way.

Smaller yes but not always tottaly true since it is building with less I would belive that it would be less dense b/c it can not get the minerals needed to produce a heathly skeleton

Madreefer420 said:
Smaller yes but not always tottaly true since it is building with less I would belive that it would be less dense b/c it can not get the minerals needed to produce a heathly skeleton

Well that's why I would think it would be tighter since it isn't branching as fast so the polyps I would think would develop closer to one another

Mrc8858 said:
Well that's why I would think it would be tighter since it isn't branching as fast so the polyps I would think would develop closer to one another

I believe polyp growth is directly related to skeletal growth so i dont think your gonna get a situation where you have a small skeleton jam packed with polyps. I could be wrong though.

From how I have read, the thicker branches with tighter polyps are a result of tons of light. You will see a more branching effect when sps corals need to reach up more for the light that they require. I'm currently witnissing this in my tank as I have one capricornis in the sandbed and another halfway up the aquascape. They were both added the same time. One is quite "wirey" while the other has produced the "bushy" look. The bushier cap has polyps that are closer together as the branches are thicker and more stubby.

Sniperhank said:
From how I have read, the thicker branches with tighter polyps are a result of tons of light. You will see a more branching effect when sps corals need to reach up more for the light that they require. I'm currently witnissing this in my tank as I have one capricornis in the sandbed and another halfway up the aquascape. They were both added the same time. One is quite "wirey" while the other has produced the "bushy" look. The bushier cap has polyps that are closer together as the branches are thicker and more stubby.

I can see that relation with lighting but i dont see that being the case because of calcium. Im gonna do some reading and see if i cant dig something up.

Schism said:
I can see that relation with lighting but i dont see that being the case because of calcium. Im gonna do some reading and see if i cant dig something up.

I'd be interested if lighting effected it in that way also. I've noticed some of my frags have changed there growth "pattern" by growing tighter. I moved then up in the tank a little bit but am also running with a lower calcium level after nearly doubling my coral stock and the old frags have doubled in size. Just figured calcium and alkalinity would effect the structure of the coral more then lighting though.

Calcium and alkalinity effect the growth of hard corals just like you would sit down with a box of legos to build a castle. Once you run out of blocks, you kinda can't build anymore until you replenish your supply of blocks. The polyp structure is made out of the same materials as the rest of the coral skeleton, so having a lower amount in the tank will only effect the growth of new polyps by them not growing along with the rest of the coral.

Simply put, calcium and alkalinity are only the building blocks to the structure that is defined by lighting and flow.

Yea all I can see is its either going to slow growth or produce a weaker structure. You cant build the same with less material think about how you would grow if you consumed minamal caladium growing up

Madreefer420 said:
Yea all I can see is its either going to slow growth or produce a weaker structure. You cant build the same with less material think about how you would grow if you consumed minamal caladium growing up

That's exactly why I ask. Technically each polyp is a different animal living in a large colony so with less material to build with in theory (or atleast mine lol) they would have to build closer together. The tissues of the coral use more then just calcium to grow so if you kept the calcium high enough to stay alive but low enough to effect the corals consumption while keeping all other parameters in check wouldn't you have faster tissue to skeleton growth. Obviously I'm not trying to do this first hand this is more me just bouncing some thoughts around with fellow reefers haha. Also does anyone know of any good lectures/speakers I can find online for coral growth or identification

The thing is though it just won't be able to build if it wants to grow to will grow. It may grow thick and dense or thin an pourus

Back
Top Bottom