Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm hoping to pick up an easier species
A Montipora capricornis would be a great choice as a starter SPS piece. They are tolerant of different types of lighting, flow, more resistent to stress from chemistry fluctuations etc., and on top of all that they can be very nice looking corals in both growth form and color. I listed a few others in my first post as well.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
That's awesome, thanks again guys! I am having issues with my seachem kits.... it's weird. They are not even registering a color when I add the reagents. I think I'm doing something wrong, but my brain isn't working well enough this evening to figure it out.

So, another question. Are aquacultured SPS shown to be more resistent and hardy as wild collected, or are they just about the same?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
They are not even registering a color when I add the reagents.
I'm having the same issue w/ a Seachem magnesium, alkalinity combo kit I just bought. Here is their responses-
Hello,
"I apologize for that. Occasionally, that can happen in storage. The indicator is a dye so you can add a few more drops of the indicator to get color (it will not skew the results). If you will send your address I will send out more indicator to make sure you get the number of test promised out of your kit.
Seachem Support"

After that did not work-
"Hello,
I understand what you are saying. The end point for the test is going to be when the color change is noted whether it is clear or yellow. We have not had a problem with either of the Alkalinity test not matching up.(*Regarding another Seachem test kit I was comparing results to) They are different reagents, but should yield pretty similar numbers. I will send out another titrant that has been checked by the chemist here. I apologize for that. I will get that one mailed out today for you. Thank you for your patience.
Seachem Support "
It's been about 10 business days and I'm still waiting for the new titrant. I just e-mailed them again. They may have a lot of people to deal with...
Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So, another question. Are aquacultured SPS shown to be more resistent and hardy as wild collected, or are they just about the same
Absolutely. Wild caught colonies are often less hardy, and can go through dramatic color shifts when acclimated to artificial lighting. You really don't know what you'll be left w/ after they acclimate to T-5, MH, etc. Aquacultured is also a more responsible method of producing coral frags. I'm sure you know how threatened reefs are w/out hobbiest impacting them further.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mike is right...I always buy aquacultured corals! They are far more hardy and they help to save our reefs!! DT...if you had been able to join us today you could have gotten a nice Monti-Cap for $9.95. A nice yellow. I picked one up yesterday along with a blue stag acro. Maybe next time you can join us!!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Mike, thanks for the info about the seachem kits, atleast now I know it's not something I'm doing wrong. I'll have to contact them as well. I have the pH and Alk combo kit. Weird, weird results.

I figured aquacultured would be a lot more hardy, and I generally try to always buy aquacultured when I can!

Quote:
DT...if you had been able to join us today you could have gotten a nice Monti-Cap for $9.95. A nice yellow. I picked one up yesterday along with a blue stag acro. Maybe next time you can join us!!
Sure, rub it in. :p That sounds sweet. I wish I was doing anything today rather than feeling how I am, but...oh well. Hopefully we can go back soon!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not to worry...John keeps lots of small SPS frags in stock and monti cap is one that he usually has several colors of!! I now have 4 different colors myself!!!

Here are a couple of pics of the Monti-cap I picked up on Friday....

Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Oh, pretty. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Tags
sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com