SPS suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
I got my new bulbs in yesterday for my T5! I got 2 blue +, 1 aquablue special, and a fiji purple for my 36 gal bowfront.

Any suggestions on what SPS I should start out with?

Sniperhank said:
I got my new bulbs in yesterday for my T5! I got 2 blue +, 1 aquablue special, and a fiji purple for my 36 gal bowfront.

Any suggestions on what SPS I should start out with?

You have 2 T5 bulbs, correct? If so I don't think that's enough lighting for SPS corals.

Edited to add: Don't know what I was reading earlier. 2+1+1 = 4 lol

Last edited:
No, it is a 4 bulb unit. I had a post going last week about its ability to keep sps. After much discussion, it pretty much said change the bulbs and it can house sps.

Sniperhank said:
No, it is a 4 bulb unit. I had a post going last week about its ability to keep sps. After much discussion, it pretty much said change the bulbs and it can house sps.

Interesting, I have a 4x54 T5 fixture with ATI bulbs over a 75. I wonder if I could keep SPS at the top of my tank....

Seriatopora, monti cap or maybe a monti digitata would be good to wet your feet I'd say.

By the way, your not actually restricted to just the top of your tank, a four bulb fixture with decent reflectors on that size tank will enable you to put them anywhere you like, providing they are not in the shade.

Don't listen to the halide fan boys, your t5's will punch into your tank just as well as their light generating ovens.

If only PAR meters were cheaper and easier to find... *le sigh*
I made an irresponsible impulse buy of an ORA Green Birdsnest coral some time ago, even though I only have a 2 bulb 48" T5 HO fixture. I couldn't resist. Bad John! Bad!
But, at about 6 inches below the surface with the bulbs another 3-4 inches up, the birdsnest is flourishing! Polyps so extended it looks fluffy, brilliant neon green, and I can't be sure without measuring, but it already looks bigger.
So, stick with medium light varieties like Montis and a few others, and you should be good. The Green Birdsnest is also a good choice. The 'normal' birdsnest needs more light, as I understand it.

A good PAR meter costs about $350...available from the manufacturer. I rented one for a while until I sold it. May start that again as you only really need one now and then.

I have a 4 bulb current usa fixture with ati bulbs over a 75. I currently have monti caps, monti dig, green slimer, ora chips, tri color acro, and pink bird nest.

That's a nice collection, Hinds. How far are those away from the bulbs so I can start planning my acquisitions?

I've got an AquaticLife 4-bulb with ATI bulbs as well. I've got a huge monti cap, green humilis, brown / green acro, and candy apple birdsnest. They are anywhere from 4" for the monti - 7-8" below the surface for the humilis and acro. All have great growth. Well the acro is a slow grower.

Well, it hasn't been a good week for me. I finally got time to mess with my lights...to realize I ordered 36 watt...I need 31... What a downer. Bulkreefsupply doesn't even offer the size for my coralife t5ho. Guess I'm going to have to return them and order directly from coralife.

Either way, project is on hold as while I was sleeping my 6 line and blue damsel died last night. I could truely care les about the damsel...but I loved that 6 line. Now he's crab food.

Sorry about your fish, I know the feeling and it's a total bummer loosing a fish let alone 2.

I wish i knew. Im at a level of being sick i cant figure it out... i forgot to turn my lights off before i left for work again... hello hair and bubble algae, we meet again.

Back
Top Bottom