Spying On Tank At Night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I enjoy peeking in on my tanks at night to see what may be lurking around the rocks. What does everyone use to spy on their tanks at night? I haven't bought anything specific, but would like to. So far I just use one of those small keychain flashlights. I've heard something about a "red light" that allows you to see, but doesn't bother the critters.

0X

I had a blue led moonlight for a previous tank. Saw my kuhlii loach freak out and swim all around the tank, pretty frequently at night.

It is all fun and games until you see a 12 inch worm that isn't a bristle worm doing laps around the tank and you can't find your camera to get its mug shot. Some where in there he still lurks.

Reactions: HN1
Just peeked in mine and saw one of my clowns asleep on a rock laying down. It does this some nights, and had me pretty worried the first 2 nights! lol

I was just about to say what HN1 did. Something about the red spectrum of light, they can't see it. So you can see them without disturbing them.

Use a red lens or plastic over the flashlight. Blue light penetrates the deepest in water, while red is absorbed first. Many creatures living below 30 feet are red, but actually disappear into the blackness, because they appear black until you shine a light on them.

I have a sun coral that is in full bloom at night :D
Love peeking into my tank at night
I'm using my LED flash light on my iPhone (there is an app for that LOL)

My yellow striped maroon clown sleeps laying on its side in my biggest rock anemone ( I have 3)
The domino juvenile damsel used to sleep there.
My fish have the silliest most ironic characteristics.

My yellow striped maroon clown sleeps laying on its side in my biggest rock anemone ( I have 3)
The domino juvenile damsel used to sleep there.
My fish have the silliest most ironic characteristics.

3 rock in one tank, nice. what size tank?

They don't seem to see red very well as that color is filtered out in the first 30 feet of seawater. You can use a white light, just narrow the beam down to a small point. My rocks are teeming with copepods and it makes me kind of itch looking at all of them.

I like to shine a red laser into the cavities of the LR, you can see all those tiny busy buzzing around in there.

I found this guy whom I didn't even know was in there. I look every night when I get home from work lol. I actually found out last night that I have 2 bristleworms about this size. Almost grabbed my mushroom frag to move it back where it goes (bulldozing turbos) and saw him poke out the other side. That woulda ruined my night lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110420_021523.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110420_021523.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 86
The laser says not to point it at people, says nothing about fish :p

And remember, please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball.

I actually do this with my freshwater tanks all the time (For the Khuli loaches someone else mentioned...heh). Now I'm going to have to go to a toy store and get a "Real Army Flashlight" with the red light. ;)

Fish have eyes...I work with lasers and even the pointer lasers (under 5mw) can burn a human, or fish retina in an instant. I would use a small pen light and use a red filter if you have one. Otherwise, a bit of light won't disturb em much. I night dive and use loads of light and don't seem to disturb the residents.

Back
Top Bottom