Squabbling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynxpilot

Aquarium Advice Activist
Received two black and white ocellaris today and they are MUCH smaller than I was expecting. I already had two regular ocellaris (one small and one large) and was planning on sticking with ocellaris clowns because of their peaceful reputation. Unfortunately, the newbies are smaller than the kids in the hood and the smaller original ocellaris is bullying the two new guys. The large one is indifferent and has totally ignored them. It doesn't appear too bad thus far, but I was wondering how much to tolerate before taking action. Any hints?

You really shouldn't have more than 2 clowns per tank as they are very territorial. They may seem peaceful but they are just a Damselfish with a nasty attitude. I'd recommend getting rid of them or putting them in a different tank.

stupid question... sorry for hijacking the thread but at the lfs ... how do all those clowns live together without killing each other?

-Brad

They have a hierarchy system in the wild where they all "work together" to stay alive and reproduce <--layman's explanation :)

so is it possible to recreate something like this in a home aquarium?

-Brad

You can, but usually difficult just because of the territorial disputes. Most clowns and within any hierarchy (anthias, fairy wrasses, etc) can and will change sexes depending on specific cues internally and their surroundings, which means challenging for dominance most of the time. The ocean behavior system is different than that in our aquariums.

stupid question... sorry for hijacking the thread but at the lfs ... how do all those clowns live together without killing each other?

-Brad

seemed like a really smart question to me.

On another note, we turned the flourescent tubes off and left the lunar lights on and it took it down a notch. Hopefully they're buddies tomorrow morning.

Plan A is called net the bully, using a 4 inch net when "he" is chasing the other clowns, try catching him. If you do, then leave the net in the tank to put him into solitary confinement for a few minutes. If you don't then leave the net on top of tank where he can see it and you can quickly take up the chase again.

Plan B use a section of lighting grid to section one end of your tank.

I'd consider returning the two newbies. More clowns of essentially the same type is asking for a fight IMO. In the meantime, I'd put some Garlic Guard and vitamin/Zoe in the food to boost the immune system The harrasment and fighting could cause someone to get sick.

I'd consider returning the two newbies. More clowns of essentially the same type is asking for a fight IMO. In the meantime, I'd put some Garlic Guard and vitamin/Zoe in the food to boost the immune system The harrasment and fighting could cause someone to get sick.

I realize that multiples of the same species is asking for trouble, but the entire reason I got ocellaris is because they are supposed to be compatible in groups. I would have otherwise gone with gold band maroons, but I heard they were terrors. I suspect my biggest sin is adding smaller specimens after the original two were established. Guess I'll find out when I get home tonight.

Lucked out. They're best of buddies today. The black and white ocellaris sure are cute little guys. Blue tang and yellow tang are buds too.

Back
Top Bottom