Stainless Steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewPhishGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi-

I was wondering if it would be OK to attach some rubber feet using some stainless steel screws to the pump that is in my sump?

I asked about stainless steel a while ago and the general consensus is that it should be called "stain-slower steel".. unless it's a very high grade it will more than likely start to rust at some time.

I decided not to risk it, but it's your call. :wink:

I have wondered the same thing myself. But my Mag 700 (which sits in my sump) has 4 stainless steel screws that hold the impeller housing to the pump.

Dunno. They haven't rusted yet. I hope they never do.

There is a marine grade stainless steel that is 316L stainless steel. That is what the screws on your pump are. BTW...Menards and Home Depot do NOT carry 316L. Probably a marine or online site.

A little info : http://home.cogeco.ca/~mquill/stainless.html

What about using aluminum? It doesn't conduct electricity, is lightweight, won't rust, and can be found at Home Depot or Lowes.

The only suitable metal is titanium and platinium.

That why the aquarium chiller cost so much as their internal piping is made out of titanium.

As for the platinium, i think the gf/wife will not be happy if she knows she get a oven for her birthday/annivesary and the tank get a platinium. :)

66deuce said:
What about using aluminum? It doesn't conduct electricity, is lightweight, won't rust, and can be found at Home Depot or Lowes.

In fact aluminium ''rusts'' almost instanttaneously. In contact with oxygen, air or water, it forms an oxide layer that has excatly the same dimensions as the base metal, forms solid crystaline structures and adheres well to the base metal. It also protects the aluminium from further corrosion so the reaction stops once a certain thickness forms.

The rust of ferrous alloys on the other hand are larger the the base iron metal and have a brittle crystal latice. So as soon as it forms, it expands and breaks off, leaving more underlying metal to be corroded. So once ferrous alloys start rusting, it's just a matter of time.

Under the right conditions, aluminium can rust, it's called white rust, and when it does, it can rust very, very quickly.

Since salt water dissolves the aluminium oxide layer, it will in fact rust under salt water and is therefore not a good idea.

Neither is brass as it contains copper that will leach out significantly.

As for stainless, 316 should be good, but not always. Stainless steels must be passivated once they've been machined otherwise they don't retain as much of their stainless properties. I doubt very much that over the counter stainless hardware is passivated. Especially since it involves near boiling nitric acid with a chromic acid inhibitor, nasty stuff.

Robert

Back
Top Bottom