Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

i think i would add more than 60 lbs of what its ideal to hold since my tank is 37 and not 29. then add like 40 lbs of live rock 20 lbs of crushed coral. im just to cautious about this i think. im sure it will hold. o ya and the joints are welded.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone

Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a planted 20G FW which is on a bought stand. The stand is literally 1/2" particleboard. Its held up for years. About 40lbs of gravel/flourite in the 20.

My 55 SW is on a homebuilt wood stand. 4x4 legs, 2x6 base for the tank to rest on, lots of steel straps to prevent buckling. Its solid like a rock.

As long as the welds are good quality, you're good to go. If you're unsure, put a piece of MDF or flat wood on top of it, and invite a few friends over to sit on it

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd upgrade it. As blorkiemom stated, your welds are gonna be your weakest point. Followed closely by those feet... It only has to bend slightly (or sink the wrong way in that styro) before it comes off balance, and tilts. It won't have to tilt much before you have a big problem.

for a 37 gallon, if it were me (after all these are only opinions and you know what they say about opinions...) I'd mix up 20 gal of fresh saltwater a few days in advance, then syphon off 50 or 60% of what is in there. If you estimate a remaining 18 gal or so thats only 200lbs and 2 or 3 adults can lift it and walk it over to its new stand.

Also with half of the water gone, you shouldn't have to worry too much about sloshing, and water changes are always a good thing anyways..

DIY stands with 4x4 vertical legs and braces made of 2x4s are suprisingly cheap/easy to make. You can cover them in finish grade plywood and make them look very nice.

HTH.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
Also, most people here are removing crushed coral and going with sand instead.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think you should be fine with this tank as long as this is wrought iron and not angle iron. The angle iron doens't appear to be as strong. I've used wrought iron stands for years and I've never had a problem. In fact, they are ususally made to hold another tank or 2 (depending on the size) on the bottom shelf.

However, I would NOT use styrofoam to level the stand.

Just my opinions.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

how do i tell the difference in wrought iron and angle iron?? thanks i will take out the styrofoam.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm no expert, but from your pictures this looks like wrought iron. I think angle iron stands are made for smaller tanks and the legs and braces are usually flat, not rounded like yours appear to be.

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com