Stand Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
will a wrought iron stand that is made for a 29 gallon 30x12 hold my 37 gallon 30x12x22 tank. i know its the same size and everything i was just wondering because it will have to support alot more weight. thanks
seacat

I personally wouldn't even try. It would be cheaper to get a stand that is specifically made for your 37, then trying to start over if it didn't hold it and it broke everything along with killing all your fish.

But that is just me. Better safe then sorry!

well how do i move a tank that is already filled. i dont want to empty everything, is there a way to left it up and take that old stand out and then get another stand?

That was just my personal opinion. Certainly doesn't mean that I'm right. You could wait for others to respond before you decide to replace it.

If you do end up replacing it, I would empty out the water and then move. I would never try to move when it's full.

BTW, what is the styro (sp) foam for?

Iron is pretty strong! If you allready have it up and running i would leavit most of thoes stands are built to hold way more than you would put on it. They over build for liabillity reasons, they dont want any law suits! IMO it will be fine its iron for god sake they build sky scrapers out of that stuff :p Really i would'nt worry my self over it as long as it does not rock back and forth :fadein:

That is true, but the way Seacat has it now on the styro foam, it looks a little unstable.

I guess i'm just being overly cautious.

no it almost sank all the way threw the styro foam. kmyers you have a point about the iron. so i guess i might leave it. i just hope it doesnt fall and make a wave of water in my house. that would suck.

Yeah that would suck BAD! But i dont think your anymore at risk of that happening then anyone with a wood stand! I built my own stand and cannopy for my 125 and i know it is'nt as strong as iron would be, mine is all birch plywood 100% with drywall screws :? Like i said as long as it dont wobble around you are fine! Your adding about 60lbs more with that tank verses the 29 that thing will hold it all day! The 37 is just taller and so you have to watch out for rocking!!!! The stand was desinged for a shorter tank. I dont think the wieght is that much of a factor :roll:

Okay, I know nothing about this, but I feel compelled to add my 2 cents anyway . . . iron is strong, welded joints? Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't be worried that the metal would give so much as a joint. Anyway, maybe like FawnN I'm overy cautious, but I don't know that I'd want to risk it, myself.

i think i would add more than 60 lbs of what its ideal to hold since my tank is 37 and not 29. then add like 40 lbs of live rock 20 lbs of crushed coral. im just to cautious about this i think. im sure it will hold. o ya and the joints are welded.

I have a planted 20G FW which is on a bought stand. The stand is literally 1/2" particleboard. Its held up for years. About 40lbs of gravel/flourite in the 20.

My 55 SW is on a homebuilt wood stand. 4x4 legs, 2x6 base for the tank to rest on, lots of steel straps to prevent buckling. Its solid like a rock.

As long as the welds are good quality, you're good to go. If you're unsure, put a piece of MDF or flat wood on top of it, and invite a few friends over to sit on it :)

I'd upgrade it. As blorkiemom stated, your welds are gonna be your weakest point. Followed closely by those feet... It only has to bend slightly (or sink the wrong way in that styro) before it comes off balance, and tilts. It won't have to tilt much before you have a big problem.

for a 37 gallon, if it were me (after all these are only opinions and you know what they say about opinions...) I'd mix up 20 gal of fresh saltwater a few days in advance, then syphon off 50 or 60% of what is in there. If you estimate a remaining 18 gal or so thats only 200lbs and 2 or 3 adults can lift it and walk it over to its new stand.

Also with half of the water gone, you shouldn't have to worry too much about sloshing, and water changes are always a good thing anyways..

DIY stands with 4x4 vertical legs and braces made of 2x4s are suprisingly cheap/easy to make. You can cover them in finish grade plywood and make them look very nice.

HTH.

I think you should be fine with this tank as long as this is wrought iron and not angle iron. The angle iron doens't appear to be as strong. I've used wrought iron stands for years and I've never had a problem. In fact, they are ususally made to hold another tank or 2 (depending on the size) on the bottom shelf.

However, I would NOT use styrofoam to level the stand.

Just my opinions.

how do i tell the difference in wrought iron and angle iron?? thanks i will take out the styrofoam.

I'm no expert, but from your pictures this looks like wrought iron. I think angle iron stands are made for smaller tanks and the legs and braces are usually flat, not rounded like yours appear to be.

Back
Top Bottom