star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
My daughter bought a start fish for my birthday, I don't really know much about them, I did find a picture on the web that looks just like it which is the orange star fish (Henricia leviuscula) from the pacific
Just wondering if it will bother my corals, she said the guy at the fish store says no but then again they all dont seem to know a whole lot other then selling you stuff
Alos wondering if they are toxic and any other info would be very helpful

thanks for the info, so what coral would fall under the sponge?, at this time I have some polypes-flower pots-open brain-cup coral, what what im being told i have stoney corals

No coral would fall under the name sponge but, if it is a sponge eater, once it cleans your liverock of all the sponges, it may not continue to thrive. I don't know much about these stars or if they will accept any kind of supplement. Are you sure that's what you have? The linkia in the post I sent you will scavenge for food as well as eat algae. They are more typically found at the lfs.

Looks like the one I have from the picture ,aslo I was wondering as star fish are new to me
Do I have to keep an eye ont it, what I mean is it sure travels around and its like one min. its on the glass the next minunt it falls down
do I have to slip it over when it lands upsaide down or twisted up or will it manage on tis own, I sure hope not, that would be a little to much

It will right itself, no worries there. Stars aren't the most graceful of creatures. The only thing you need to watch is your water chemistry. These stars are sensitive to any changes. Good luck with him. They are really neat. Oh, also, if you don't have alot of algae in your tank, you may want to offer some nori from time to time.

the front glass is the only part of my tank that is clean from algea, I have alot of rock, impossible to clean the back or sides so I leave it

How long did you acclimate your star for? They should be slowly drip acclimated over a couple hours. If you didn't acclimate him, he could be having a hard time adjusting to the changes. I'd just keep an eye on him and wait. I never did answer your question about toxicity. They aren't toxic. They will start to melt if things aren't to their liking. If that happens, you'll know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom