Star Polyps not opening!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are my result for today's water test!

Attachments

• image-3743147424.jpg
    image-3743147424.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 104
My tank is 55 gallons. Idk how lights work so this is what is says on the box.

Attachments

• image-3243635563.jpg
    image-3243635563.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 99
everything looks good, light system ok too,the thing i don't see is your iodine level or magnesium level. sometimes i will have some of my polyps hear and there close, after a water change they open up again.

My magnesium was at 1350 idk about my iodine level tho :/

JuanArti said:
My magnesium was at 1350 idk about my iodine level tho :/

Mag level is fine, and if doing regular water changes, your iodine level should be as well.

Gsp are hearty coral they love strong flow . I yank my colony out make some frags a couple days later it mends itself.... They will eventually slowly start to open ... 2 - 3 days????

Yeah I do pwc every two weeks. I know they'd open in 2-3 days they've been for 6 days now without opening -_-

In your original pic, with them closed, there appears to be a little algae growing on them. This will definitely make them stay closed.

If they were only partially opened before, in the other pic, then they were probably already starting to feel the effects of the algae. I'm not really sure about the best method to get it off the colony, but I would try gently brushing them to try to remove what you can. The only other thing I could suggest, is to make sure that your phosphate and nitrate levels are very low, to curb more algae from forming.
Hope it works out for you Juan.

I just see this as many signs of your GSP not having enough flow. Put it in a high flow area. This will blow the algae off, hopefully, and your polyps should open up.

My nitrates and phosphates are at 0. I brushed it gently and got a lot of the algae off of it.

I don't believe 6 days in your tank caused the problem, but agree with Sniper, a high flow area is suggested for this coral, and will help keep algae off of it. Mine do well in a high flow, somewhat turbulent area, with med light.

Alright I moved it to a good spot close to where it was first opening. The spot has good amount of light and good flow because it's next to a Powerhead. Now we wait :p

Signs of life! I was inspecting my gsp today and noticed one of them is a little open. Thank god.

It takes awhile to acclimate sometimes. Patience is a virtue. But I like the tank that's pretty cool with the tv on the wall above it.

Trust me I know lol. Thanks it was hard to set up -_-

JuanArti said:
Signs of life! I was inspecting my gsp today and noticed one of them is a little open. Thank god.

Well, that's a start. Hopefully the rest comes around for you, good luck Juan!

Back
Top Bottom