Star Polyps not opening (PICS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night i did my weekly water change and everything was fine, i did a 5 gallon water change and my levels are (Seachem test kit). when i come home from work today, my star polyps are all closed up, and havent opened since ive been home.

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0 - 0.1
PH - 8.1
nitrate - 10

the other corals i have include two zoo colonies, and one yellow polyps colony. all of them are doing wonderfully. I had the zoos for one month, and the stars for at least three weeks, they were moved from where the zoo colony on the right is to its new location two weeks ago (seen in pics). As seen in pic two, barely any are out, they do go in everynight, but never seen it like this during the day. Is it a lack of lighting, i have 2.6 watts per gallon, but was told they should do well in my tank, i do plan on getting more after i get married in two months. Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

see below for pics,

TIA, Jeff.

Tank Shot
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d930b3127cce92ea2cc9e7ed00000016108AaOGjdi4Ztq

close up of star polyps, or what used to be star polyps
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d930b3127cce92ea2cb466a000000016108AaOGjdi4Ztq

hmmm... did you ever exposed them? Once, by accident, i was rearranging the rocks in my tank, and I forgot to keep the rock with my star polyps in my tank, it was exposed to air for about an hour, i was so worried that i might have killed them, but after two days, they came out full bloom and were looking fine.

My star polyps close all of the time for a couple of days whenever the flow around them changes, or basically anything changes. Give them a couple of days.

Same here, I moved my poserheads to better locations, polyps closed for a few days. Oh, also once when I had a cloudy water problem, they closed up. I used Kent Marine Pro-Clear for two days, no more cloudy water.

I agree, give it time. Mine take a couple of days to come back out after I do a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom