starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lalalove21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello, I'm new to this site! I have become very interested in owning a starfish. the star I'm planning on getting is a red Bali. I've heard it's a good starter. the info I would like to know is how big of a tank I'll need, (I do plan on getting more than one eventually), what kind of environment it would need, what it eats, just the basic stuff to start a tank. thanks!

I found this online about your star...

The Bali Red Star is a miniature star fish which stays small never exceeding about 3 inches. Found over sandy substrates, on rocks, and sometimes climbing among corals and other invertebrates, they are constantly foraging for micro-organisms and detritus to eat, so the aquarium should have ample amounts of live rock. Red Bali Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in temperature, oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications.

Also stated that the tank would have to be very matured- as in over a year old.

I would agree. The tank size depends on if you plan on keeping fish or not. I would suggest keeping peaceful fish cause I would think JUST stars would get a little boring. If this is your first tank ever I would suggest getting a freshwater tank for awhile. For saltwater type in on google how to cycle a saltwater aquarium. This will help you out alot. Feel free to ask any other questions!!!!! Good luck with whatever tank you get!

Since you are going to need the extra live rock and a peaceful tank, why not go reef? Pick the fish that interest you and determine the size of tank you need from there.

thanks guys, this was very helpful! I'm still going to do a lot more research on the topic since it is my first tank, but I'm definitely going to make it a reef- like environment.

Good!! Glad to hear your going to do more research. A very common mistake is not researching enough. Your definately off to a good start!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom