Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of adding a starfish to my system.

Do starfish count towards the bioload, or are they much like shrimps? I'm looking at a small (2" max top to bottom) orange one, whatever it's called...approx how big would this grow in my 38 gallon tank?

And, what do they eat, I assume I have to feed them seperately from my fish? If so, how do I do that?

Will there be any problems with my fish (2 x false percula clowns, coral beauty, bangaii cardinal, royal gramma)?

Anything else I should know about stars?

Cheers!

Mark

I have an Orange starfish. Look in my gallery to see him. You don't need to target feed, they help with cleaning your tank and get plenty. Mine is currently about 3", hasn't grow much since I got him in Nov. From what I understand they don't get much over 5".
Should go great in your tank, you may want to stay away from the Linckia species, they get large and can be tough to keep.
Here is more info
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=581
Enjoy! :)

Thanks a lot!!

Orange marble starfish is it? Do they eat with their stomachs out? Arms drop off? etc.? ;)

It says they're ok in 72 - 78°F like a lot of the fish on that site, but I've been advised to keep mine higher, 80 - 82. What do you think as far as temperature goes for all my fish?

Do starfish (like the Orange Seastar) need a lot of room on the tank bottom?

The way I've got my tank laid out with rocks/plants, there's not many places in the tank where the star could fully stretch out without being on top of a fake coral or plant etc.

It couldn't slide from one end of the tank to the other, for instance.

Also, if it was to fall off the side of the tank, it would most likely land on a rock or something.

Would this be a problem if I got a star?

Mine spends most of the time on the glass. She falls once is a while, but it doesn't seem to hurt her. Its a small star, I think your tank would be fine. I keep mine a steady 78 degrees, she does fine with this.
She doesn't eat with her stomach out, she just grazes on the glass mostly. Low maintainance animal.
You would do fine with one.

I don't need to provide any specific food then? It'll just get it itself from the glass etc.?

Yes, but you can feed them a little piece of shrimp every so often if you wish. I don't because my tank is a pretty busy place and there is a lot of food/waste for him to eat.
I've had him for 5 months or so and he is doing fine.

OK, so how do I know if he's getting enough food or not, naturally from my tank? ;)

Good question. Its just kind of implied. Maybe you can just try and target feed every couple of days. If he refuses the food, then he is probably fine.

OK...what would you target feed him with then? Greens? Where exactly would you put the food?

I would try different things, nori or even meaty foods such as small pieces of shrimp.

Cool, and feed directly on a stick so he eats it off the stick?

Just place it underneath or beside him. Thats what I do with my serpent stars.

Just place it underneath or beside him. Thats what I do with my serpent stars.

Back
Top Bottom