Starfish Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suprised

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the best way to feed a starfish. I've had one for a few days now and am absolutely fascinated with him. I believe its a red thorny star. I've been direct feeding liquid phytoplankton, is this ok? What can i give him so he gets the nutrition he needs and how do i go about giving it to him? Also any general tips from those who have successfully kept starfish would be appreciated-
Thank You

I feed raw shrimp, commercial frozen food by hand 2 times a week. Most stars are scavengers/hunters therefore they require meat in their diet.

I don't belive your starfish will eat phytoplankton. I would agree w/ MT79
and try to give him some meaty food. My star(not sure on type go same family as chocolate chip) tries to eat my snails if I don't feed him for a couple days.

I use tongs to put a frozen cube of blood worms in the substrate, let it sit for a few minutes to though out, and then I move the starfish on top of them. ( If he's already at the bottom, I just do it near him, he'll find it) Also, I feed my fish sea weed, and the starfish always knows when its there. After about 30 minutes, the starfish is right on top of the sea weed eating away.

Back
Top Bottom