Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-24-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starfish Advice

Whats the best way to feed a starfish. I've had one for a few days now and am absolutely fascinated with him. I believe its a red thorny star. I've been direct feeding liquid phytoplankton, is this ok? What can i give him so he gets the nutrition he needs and how do i go about giving it to him? Also any general tips from those who have successfully kept starfish would be appreciated-
Thank You

Suprised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I feed raw shrimp, commercial frozen food by hand 2 times a week. Most stars are scavengers/hunters therefore they require meat in their diet.

MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I don't belive your starfish will eat phytoplankton. I would agree w/ MT79
and try to give him some meaty food. My star(not sure on type go same family as chocolate chip) tries to eat my snails if I don't feed him for a couple days.
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I use tongs to put a frozen cube of blood worms in the substrate, let it sit for a few minutes to though out, and then I move the starfish on top of them. ( If he's already at the bottom, I just do it near him, he'll find it) Also, I feed my fish sea weed, and the starfish always knows when its there. After about 30 minutes, the starfish is right on top of the sea weed eating away.

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com