Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to scrupul0us
Starfish aquarium

I would like to start a saltwater aquarium in the 20-30gal tank range just for starfish. What would be your recommendation? Seems everyone has their own opinion when it comes to these little guys. Thanks

Old 09-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bump

No replies ... If it helps... I have very little exp. when it comes to aquariums. I had once maintained a freshwater 20 gal aquarium 5 some odd years ago but would like to try my hand at it again. Being that starfish are low maintenance (or so I'm told) and I like the little buggers I'd like to start there. Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
steve-s

Actually what you suggest would depend largely on the species you choose. Overall, the more decorative and "visible" species would make it impossible for a small tank. For an even marginal chance at success with the more spefered and colorful species, you'd need a tank several 100 gallons well matured and loaded with LR.

If you stuck with more predaceous species that can be target fed, you'll have much better success. The main drawback there is most are quite drab and will spend most of their time hidden.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe do an invert tank. Expand out and include some snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp and maybe a small brittle star.
On exception to what Steve said is the orange star fish. Its stays small and I have rarely ever target fed it. You can see mine in my gallery.
The above listed would be a low maintainence tank. Still would need some live rock and sand though.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a link to this star (Echunaster sp).
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...1&TopCatId=528
Please don't confuse this with a Linckia, they are difficult to keep.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Would I be able to keep that kind of star comfortably in a 20-30 gal tank?

Also, why would I need a tank that is several hundred gallons for most stars?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you could because they stay small. Mine is the same 2" now that she was a year ago.
Many of these species need a lot of live rock to thrive and super water quality, plus they get big. Thus the need for a larger system.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrupul0us
Would I be able to keep that kind of star comfortably in a 20-30 gal tank?
I wouldn't, their requirements are the same as Linkia and Fromia.

Quote:
Also, why would I need a tank that is several hundred gallons for most stars?
A well matured large reef system would be the only way of providing enough of a sustainable food supply long term. Except for predaceous stars, most feed primarily on algae film and bacterial slime. Generally speaking an 100 gal reef system would about get by for even just one. They cannot be effectively target fed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Marble sea star, Orange sea star, Double sea star, red and black sea star (Formia milleporella), Sand sifting sea star, all completely doable in a 30G tank. Can you keep 1 or two of those in a 20G? Sure. Couple issues with smaller tanks..as with all 'micro/nano/pico' environments, water quality and stocking are an issue. Have to stay on top of the water quality if your going for the 20G tank..Its really considered by most standards, a nano environment in marine tank terms. I have a friend with a big ole trigger in a 20G with about 15G usable space. (He made his own filtration system in the tank) is the fish happy, he** ya. Is it pretty? Not always (triggers are pigs). Would I do it? he** NO. If you want to keep 3 or four of the ones I listed, you should consider a 30G min tank. Any smaller and you risk a crash practically over night. I don't know if this is your 1st tank, but ask anyone thats been doing this a while or is well read on the topic. Smaller tanks = more work. Same goes for a starfish only, fish only, invert only, etc tank. All the stars I listed above (except the sand sifter) is about 3 - 5". Very attainable IMHO in a 30G tank. You would need to consider compatability, feeding requirements, lighting, etc, but based on size alone, no reason I wouldn't fire up a 30 tank and drop 3 or 4 of those bad boys in it. (With some crabs and snails to boot of course)
GL
Old 09-21-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
steve-s

I pretty much disagree with the entire post above. With the exception of predaceous stars as I mentioned earlier, they cannot be target fed effectively. If you attempt this you will be disappointed. Stars are also not a consideration to the bioload, only available space.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com