Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to labman
Starfish Care

I was reading in one of my books last night that starfish in tanks often live for years but die of malutrition.mentioned that they might feed on sponges but that was pretty much it can anybody provide more info I have Red Star and a Chocolate Chip, and some little baby guy my daughter would love to see grow up

Old 09-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
steve-s

"Red star" needs a bit more description, too general. Species identification is quite important in this regard. Fot the chocolate vhip star, they are omnivor predators and can be target fed. Small pieces of raw meaty seafoods will suffice. They are not reef safe and not above snacking on tank mates either.

As for the red star, more commonly they are rather difficult depending on species. At minimum they will need a well matured tank, plenty of LR and few if any competing animal species. Primary food sources include bacterial slime and film algae so this also includes grazing snails.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
chocolate chips will eat most inverts, and like steve said red star is too general...
Old 09-27-2005, 04:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to labman
Will get photo's

I will get a photo of the red sorry that all they told me when I bought it and they are considered to be the primo FS here in this area of michigan. nd the chocolate chip I was told was a great cleaner so far he has not been at all distructive mostley cleans my glass
Old 09-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
From what ive heard chocolate chip stars dont really clean that good.
Theyre mosr carnivorous and need to have krill and pieces of shrimp tucked under it.
Try to get a pic of the red starfish. Ive found some that get a couple inches but a while ago i found a really cool one but it was predatory and got about a foot long or more.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Had an orange linkia for quite a while, but recently lost him. Not sure why.

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com