Starfish Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was reading in one of my books last night that starfish in tanks often live for years but die of malutrition.mentioned that they might feed on sponges but that was pretty much it can anybody provide more info I have Red Star and a Chocolate Chip, and some little baby guy my daughter would love to see grow up

"Red star" needs a bit more description, too general. Species identification is quite important in this regard. Fot the chocolate vhip star, they are omnivor predators and can be target fed. Small pieces of raw meaty seafoods will suffice. They are not reef safe and not above snacking on tank mates either.

As for the red star, more commonly they are rather difficult depending on species. At minimum they will need a well matured tank, plenty of LR and few if any competing animal species. Primary food sources include bacterial slime and film algae so this also includes grazing snails.

Cheers
Steve

Will get photo's

I will get a photo of the red sorry that all they told me when I bought it and they are considered to be the primo FS here in this area of michigan. nd the chocolate chip I was told was a great cleaner so far he has not been at all distructive mostley cleans my glass

From what ive heard chocolate chip stars dont really clean that good.
Theyre mosr carnivorous and need to have krill and pieces of shrimp tucked under it.
Try to get a pic of the red starfish. Ive found some that get a couple inches but a while ago i found a really cool one but it was predatory and got about a foot long or more.

Back
Top Bottom