Starfish easy yet reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It seems to me that there are no starfish other than brittles that are easy to care for (even self-sustaining) that are reef friendly....

I have serpent starfish in my tanks, they hide a lot, but can easily be coax out with something meaty, very neat to watch. Even when i put pellets in, I can see the tiger one brings its arms out from the rock crevices and try to grab some. I did take the chance in my biocube with a CC Starfish, knowing that it may munch on my coral. If it has, I haven't noticed. That being said I dont' think I'd risk one in my other tank.

I've heard of bad things happening with serpents and fish...also, cc star=chocolate chip right?

I think it may depend on the type of serpent stars. I know some have bristles on them that mayb e poisonous (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) but mine are both smooth, the one is a tiger serpent, and the other I don't remember but its red :p Yeah, chococlate chip. I've had luck with mine. I really want this blue Linckia they had at store, but I was told they're a bit more sensitive to salinity change than other ones, so I'm waiting until I have at least a 90G.

Ok.....not sure if I want to risk it with the cc.....maybe a serpent anyone know of any others?

Nothing? Or maybe I'm being too impatient....? But of you know of any easyish reef safe stars other than brittles and serpents please let me know!

What's the scientific name? Idk where to find it under orange sea star, unless you know of a web site?

Wait...I think I found it....fromia? Says they can be harmful to sponges anemones and clams....this is from liveaquaria by the way

In the second paragraph of that description it days that they can harm anemones sponges and clams though.

Thinking about a bta, one clam, and was looking at sponges although I'd heard they are extremely difficult, but none of those will be for a while, so I think I'll get one! Thanks for all the help!

i could be wrong but i doubt itll bother your anemone, the clam, maybe but what lighting do you have? also you shouldnt add any of those unless you have a very stable tank, the starfish as well. and np glad i could help

My tank is on it's way to stable and I have enough light....thanks!

Mine does not harm the clam or sponges. That`s just mine though. Why here he is. LOL

100_0574.JPG

Wow cool! I'll definitely be getting one when my tanks stabalizes! Anything I should know about them?

Rule number one is "Do not expose to air". Make sure you watch the LFS and tell him dont expose to air. If you order online get it from liveaquaria as they know not to expose to air. When you add make sure you acclimate it without exposing to air. Some more pics

100_0757.JPG

100_0423.JPG

100_0357.JPG

I'll be sure to avoid that, and, by the way, you have a very pretty and healthy one, I'm impressed!

What happens if you expose it to air?? just wondering, I would also like to try one sometime. Do you feed yours ever? and what would be the minimum tank size for it...or does it really matter since its not swimming around haha

Back
Top Bottom