Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starfish for reef?

What seems to be the easiest,safest star fish for reeftank, been researching bali red starfish i like the idea that they stay smaller and could possibly multiply.anyone have luck with these? I like the linkas but im not sure theyre very easy to keep. And one other thing im looking at is i dont want too much competition for liverock foraging as my flame spends alot of time on it..tank is 75 w/110# liverock set up for couple months but everything was transferd from 44gal.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I can't say I;ve had any luck with starfish in my tank. It's kinda sad but they generally don't do very well in a home aquarium. I'm not so sure about the chocolate chip starfish, though not reef safe i have heard they do better in captivity.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea thats what im concerned about i would like one but dont like to put anything in tank to see it perish. I read the chocochips like to munch on corals,that wont work?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nah, the chocolate chip will eat your corals. It's just the most hardy or best kept starfish I've heard of so I mentioned it. I had a red sea star and he disinegrated slowly each leg at a time. It was horrible to watch. I won't be getting another for my reef tank most likely. I will however probably get some choclate chip ones for my 90g FOWLR.

Just a tough call on whether to gamble on one or not....I took the gamble and mine was dead within about 2 weeks...
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Id like to know if anyone has info on the bali reds, i dont even know if they are availble locally here yet,buy have read some good write-ups on them.
One other thing, they say not to expose starfish to air at all when acclimating which to me seems to mean you are going to get some outside water in your tank???
Old 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I acclimated over a long period of time so most of the water in my bucket was actually from my tank. That was the best way i could think of doing it.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3 starfish in my reef. Sand shifting (have a 5" dsb), red star fish, and a pink one with purple tips (beautiful colors). I acclimated them for 2 hrs, didn't let air hit them, and have had great success with them. Just keep up on your prams.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I like and had great luck with a greyish brittle I had. Very mild and would take food from my hand. Had him for six years. Also had a reddish looking serpant star that did well in the same 155g tank. Bothe brittles and serpents have decent life expectancy from my experience. Hardy too. I've never heard of sand sifters living very long at all.

Stay away from the big green brittles. They get HUGE and I've heard can be aggressive.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 I have serpents, too. Very hardy and my 1st starfish.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think the serpents are cool looking starfish & i have been thinking about one but it seems they get pretty big and i was wondering if they move around knocking corals over or any trouble like that ?? What about open tanktop??

Tags
reef, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com