Starfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got into salt water and i am looking to get the type of saltwater critter that most amuses me a starfish and i want to get one that does other things that most amuses me like having offspring of the small critters or splitting into two or regrowing the star from the leg can anyone tell me which starfish have offspring easier and which one will split and which ones will regrow the star from the leg i want to make a good choice on my new pet. thanks

Welcome to the site!
First thing, I would remove you email address from any public forum, otherwise the spambots will kill your email.
Quite a few sea stars are hard to sex, since they really don't have and distinguishing features. I believe most of them will regrow lost arms. About the only ones that I've seen reproduce are the asternia stars. Hopefully other folks will chime in that know more about stars than I do.

thanks yea i have heard they are hard but other times i have heard that they sometimes just split into two which i think would be perrty cool to see and i take my email off as soon as i find out how thanks for the heads up

If you look in my images you`ll see my stars . I`ve also have a CC star in my fuge that I dont have a pic of. I`ve never had any of them reproduce though except my asternias.

What are those tiny starfish---they are grey and literally a bit smaller than the stars your grade school teacher would put on your "conformist/assimilation chart" :)
These stars seem to start out unformed but eventually develop 6 spires (sort of like the "Star of David") They started coming out of my rockwork about a year after the tank was set up. I`d say there are almost 100 of them in there now. They usually hang on the algae on the glass.
Anyways........
What are they?

If these then they are asternia stars

100_0616-med.jpg

That is them----you rule Meluso!

I got all the gear----I`m setting up plumbing today!)

By the way---heres a scene from the tank I gotta tear down---
boo hoo.........

Attachments

• new shebang 1.jpg
    new shebang 1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 84
That`s a nice tank but I had to do the same when I transfered from my 55 to my 125 and I was worried it would not look as good but I was wrong it looks even better today. Yours will too.

Cant beat your positivity. We are probably looking to be done with the transplant by next weekend.

thanks

thanks and yea on that asternia star i set my 55 gal up two weeks ago and just a few min ago i found one on my glass how is this possible? could he have been on live rock and if so how could he have lived stars are delicate are they not he coulndt have survived a non cycled tank!! its about the size of the o in the .com in the banner how big wil it get and how likey is it that there is more than one in the tank? thanks for your help sorry it took so long to reply to your help on the stars i have been at work.

I was told at the LFS that there are often starfish eggs in the live sand bags . You start seeing the stars months after setting up the tank.

oh

well thats just cool!!! lol!! i am fanatic of seeing stuff hatch and like some stars do split and regrow into two i am trying so hard to get my clowns to spawn lol its just one of my things i like if they were in the sand as eggs that is so freakin cool!!!! :eek: thanks jaw!!!

Back
Top Bottom