Starfish Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPB94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I want to buy a biscuit star but I have been told I have to get my nitrate down as much as possible, I have been told 40 PPM is an acceptable level. Do starfish also build up a tollerance to Nitrate like fish do or are they too fragile?

Thanks,

Dan Bell

Dan is your tank at 40 ppm? IMO that's pretty high, I'm worried after 5 and downright freakin at 10...lol The stars gonna have a better chance the higher quality the water, they don't take to change very well in my experience...

I test my tank on a regular basis and last week it was 40 PPM, apparently thats quite normal for a nano tank. I have spoken to most of the members of staff at my LFS and they said 40 PPM was good.

DPB94 said:
I test my tank on a regular basis and last week it was 40 PPM, apparently thats quite normal for a nano tank. I have spoken to most of the members of staff at my LFS and they said 40 PPM was good.

Change LFS! 40 is ridiculously high

Nano tanks are incredible hard to controle though. My honest opinion would be to try to get the nitrates down with a couple water changes before putting in a starfish but i've never seen anyone with a biscuit star so they could be different. They sure are cool looking...

Also biscuit stars only eat sponges and bryozoans so hard to keep and in a nano even harder sorry to say but I would stay away :(

40s not THAT high. I forget who posted but theirs was 200............ Ive had mine at 40-80 before and everything was fine. Still, its not good, but its not insane.

crister13 said:
40s not THAT high. I forget who posted but theirs was 200............ Ive had mine at 40-80 before and everything was fine. Still, its not good, but its not insane.

40-80?? Wowzers!! IMO thats crazy high.

For a sw tank, i would only be happy with <5..and alright with <10. anything other than that is not good IMO. 20 wont kill the fish, and 40 might not either..but that is a dangerous path

I'm not saying its good, AT ALL lol. It's just not RIDICULOUS. 200!!!!! Whew lol. But definitely try to get them at or below 10

Back
Top Bottom