Starfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whats up?
Hey i bought this starfish at a local fish store, the owner told me it was reef safe. I actually wanted a chocolate chip star but he told me they were'nt reef safe and directed me to this one.
When I got home and did some research.
I only read one artical from a search that said it wasnt reef safe and actually eats sponges.
I figured I would ask you guys to get a straight answer.

Without looking anything up, my lfs sells them as reef safe. I was going to get one but I think they get about the size of your palm. I got a smaller orange and blue pockadot one. But i am pretty sure chocalte chips are not reef safe.

It looks like a red knob http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+1748&pcatid=1748 There is very few reef safe starfish. I came close to getting a starfish a few weeks ago when I started asking questions, they found out the it was actually mislabeled by the distributor. I am very lucky to have a LFS that takes the time to actually look up things for themselves they they don't know the answer.

Ya from what I've found it is not reef safe.
I went back to the store and the owner wasnt there. I didnt know the name of the starfish, which is a red knob, then so knowone could help me as they didnt see it the day I bought it or something.
But I did look in the tank it was in, and it was a reef setup, with coral and all. So i dont know what Im gonna do.
He stays near the waters surface most of the time anyway, away from the LR. And when he comes down he usually crawls on the live sand, rarely on the LR. I was lucky to get those pictures.
Should I try to keep him in the tank if he isnt harming anything? Or take him out seeing as he's not reef safe?

if you dont want him, always find out people in your local area mite want him or go to anyone who has a marine shop see if they want him , upto u :)

Back
Top Bottom