Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starry blenny problems

MY blenny keeps biting my foxface and powder blue tang for no reason I read they can be vicious towards other fish that resemble them but my foxface and tang look nothing like him, I literally only got my tang and the minute I put her in he went for her he level big mouth print on both of them

Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

These fish can be aggressive, no doubt about it. Mine was aggressive towards my coral beauty for several months before things calmed down. Sounds very similar as I would find marks on my coral beauty now and again. Things appear to have calmed down, in my case I believe that it was aggressive towards the coral beauty because it was the only other fish in the tank close to its size, everything else is much smaller. Just keep an eye on things, as if I remember correctly powder blues are more suseptable to ich.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard they can be aggressive towards other herbivores, since they're looking do the same food. Haven't had that problem yet cuz mine in the only herbivore in the tank.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tomini tang just died this morning and I have a scooter Blenny. Now I'm wondering if he could've killed her. They've been fine. I haven't seen him go after her. But she was hiding in the rocks last night and he was back there too before I went to bed.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have one of these fish that's about full grown and he can be pretty nasty.... My LFS has one in their display with a hippo and a HUGE damsel and he bullies them both
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awh don't say that I have a teeny tomini tang better not go for her, my foxface is much bigger than him and I have a yellow tang he doesn't seem to bother her but infernus she runs the tank no one annoys her haha hope things settle down he's constantly at my foxface and he's a big baby wouldn't harm a fly, but the powder tang only has to bite marks he hasn't seemed to bother her since the two first bites
Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

There she is there her name is Ellie how do you no if it's a girl or boy ? There's my foxface in comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-194878501.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	126297   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3371553604.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	126298  

Old 10-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ps my foxface was very sick here he isn't anymore he's in perfect health besides the bites
Old 10-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its your tank size IMO. If your tank is still only 176 liters your tank is very very overstocked with 3 tangs, a foxface, a blenny, and whatever else. Fish live great in tanks big enough for them. You overstocked your tank last time and things ended poorly. My advice is either upgrade or get rid of fish. Im sure the agression wouldnt be as bad in a larger tank because then each fish could have its own territory, in your current tank it seems that territorys are overlaping

If you have upgraded and your tank is not 176 liters like it was before i apologize
Old 10-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The guys I get my fish off of are pretty strict like I'm at my limit now but there's loads of room and loads of hidey holes...I didn't over stock last time I had like 4 fish and they didn't fight they all got marine velvet no one in my tank fights with each other ever it's just blenny 2 of my tangs sleep together and fox face sleeps with file fish it's adorable it's blenny, my biggest fish are foxface and yellow tang the rest are little things I will eventually upgrade when they get bigger but that won't be for a while I'm very carful what I add and watch them like a hawk cause I love them to bits and I no things can go down hill so quick I put up a pic (:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-139671197.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	126319   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1394844996.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	126320  

Name:	image-1572836796.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	126321   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3076197219.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	126322  

Name:	image-1699151512.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	126323  

Tags
blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com