Starry blenny problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwfulArabella

Aquarium Advice Activist
MY blenny keeps biting my foxface and powder blue tang for no reason I read they can be vicious towards other fish that resemble them but my foxface and tang look nothing like him, I literally only got my tang and the minute I put her in he went for her he level big mouth print on both of them

These fish can be aggressive, no doubt about it. Mine was aggressive towards my coral beauty for several months before things calmed down. Sounds very similar as I would find marks on my coral beauty now and again. Things appear to have calmed down, in my case I believe that it was aggressive towards the coral beauty because it was the only other fish in the tank close to its size, everything else is much smaller. Just keep an eye on things, as if I remember correctly powder blues are more suseptable to ich.

I've heard they can be aggressive towards other herbivores, since they're looking do the same food. Haven't had that problem yet cuz mine in the only herbivore in the tank.

My tomini tang just died this morning and I have a scooter Blenny. Now I'm wondering if he could've killed her. They've been fine. I haven't seen him go after her. But she was hiding in the rocks last night and he was back there too before I went to bed. :(

I have one of these fish that's about full grown and he can be pretty nasty.... My LFS has one in their display with a hippo and a HUGE damsel and he bullies them both

Awh don't say that I have a teeny tomini tang :( better not go for her, my foxface is much bigger than him and I have a yellow tang he doesn't seem to bother her but infernus she runs the tank no one annoys her haha hope things settle down he's constantly at my foxface and he's a big baby wouldn't harm a fly, but the powder tang only has to bite marks he hasn't seemed to bother her since the two first bites

There she is there her name is Ellie how do you no if it's a girl or boy ? There's my foxface in comparison

Attachments

• image-194878501.jpg
    image-194878501.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 137
  • image-3371553604.jpg
    image-3371553604.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 159
Ps my foxface was very sick here he isn't anymore he's in perfect health besides the bites

Its your tank size IMO. If your tank is still only 176 liters your tank is very very overstocked with 3 tangs, a foxface, a blenny, and whatever else. Fish live great in tanks big enough for them. You overstocked your tank last time and things ended poorly. My advice is either upgrade or get rid of fish. Im sure the agression wouldnt be as bad in a larger tank because then each fish could have its own territory, in your current tank it seems that territorys are overlaping

If you have upgraded and your tank is not 176 liters like it was before i apologize

The guys I get my fish off of are pretty strict like I'm at my limit now but there's loads of room and loads of hidey holes...I didn't over stock last time I had like 4 fish and they didn't fight they all got marine velvet :( no one in my tank fights with each other ever it's just blenny 2 of my tangs sleep together and fox face sleeps with file fish it's adorable it's blenny, my biggest fish are foxface and yellow tang the rest are little things I will eventually upgrade when they get bigger but that won't be for a while I'm very carful what I add and watch them like a hawk cause I love them to bits and I no things can go down hill so quick I put up a pic :)

Attachments

• image-139671197.jpg
    image-139671197.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image-1394844996.jpg
    image-1394844996.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1572836796.jpg
    image-1572836796.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3076197219.jpg
    image-3076197219.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1699151512.jpg
    image-1699151512.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 142
Im sorry but it doesnt matter how well you may think your fish get along, and it really doesnt matter how much you love them, they need much bigger tanks. I would put that stock in a 125 gallon tank and be almost done. I see clowns, 3 decent sized tangs, a foxface, blenny, and chromis thats way overstocked im sorry to say. Your tank is just over 40 gallons, and in a 40 gallon tank i would never add a foxface or any tangs. This also related to your blennys agressive behavior because the less room it has the more agressive it will be.

Ya sorry but half your fish need almost a 6' tank. Every tang you have needs a 6' tank. The fox needs a little under 4'. That's why they're not getting along, because your way way way overstocked. I have 6 fish in a 150 that aren't much bigger than your tangs. If you loved them you would give them away. And they will never get too big because they will be stunted but they will have much shorter lifespans. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but jack hit the nail on the head.

But that's what I'm trying to tell you surely he wouldn't just pick on 2 particular fish it'd be all the fish ?and that tank is fine for them the guys wouldn't give me the fish if they didn't believe I had enough room they will eventually go into a bigger tank, and my 3 tangs foxface and file fish go everywhere together I'd never split them up or give them away... Guess I'm lucky the things you can't see haha :p

AwfulArabella said:
But that's what I'm trying to tell you surely he wouldn't just pick on 2 particular fish it'd be all the fish ?and that tank is fine for them the guys wouldn't give me the fish if they didn't believe I had enough room they will eventually go into a bigger tank, and my 3 tangs foxface and file fish go everywhere together I'd never split them up or give them away... Guess I'm lucky the things you can't see haha :p

Okay i will have to disprove what your saying
1. The blenny will pick on 2 particular fish, its in their nature. Sometimes its because their bodies look alike, and some times its because their agressive. But in a tank suitable for all of those fish he wouldnt be agressive.
2. You could not be more wrong when you said they wouldnt sell you a tabk thats not suitable for them all. They will sell you ANYTHING to make money. Dont think they are experts or they even care about the fish, you must assume they just want money. And besides, how did they know you were going to put 3 tangs in that tank? Im sure you havent told them your whole stock, because anyone knows that 3 tanks and a foxface need bigger tanks.
3. Your fish swim everywhere together because there is no room for them to spread out. They dont care about eachother, theres just no room.

I can disprove you also
1. I had just foxface blenny and file fish at one stage he was still biting
2. Kealan Doyle is who I go to he's brilliant and cares a hell of a lot about fish he's also a marine biologist and yes they no allllll my stock
3. Here's a pic of how my two besties sleep together every night with out a doubt they were the first 2 in the tank and they never leave each others side... Can you disprove why they sleep like that It's a big enough tank for them to sleep apart but they choose not to

Attachments

• image-1176701315.jpg
    image-1176701315.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 94
Well clearly you are not even considering any AA member's advice. I completely agree with the others have said and that is an absurd case of overstocking. I don't think there will be just a problem of aggression, but an ongoing raise of nitrates since the bio load is so massive. That's cool that Kealan is marine biologist and all. He is the one selling you fish, we aren't here to sell anything, just give you advice from our personal experiences. The proof is the results, just look at these people's tanks! He may have his opinion and advice about how many fish to keep in what size tank and all, but there are better ways. Cramming in huge fish (or fish that will grow to be massive) in a small tank and seeing what happens is bound to have it's toll on the overall system. In fish stores, 30 clowns and 3 tangs might be in a 50 gallon tank, but that's only temporary and would never be a good idea to have for a long time. Having that many fish in an aquarium at home for example would be plain wrong. Yes you're fish are surviving (for who knows how long), but not thriving.

30 clowns? My fish are nowhere near huge haha and I took on a lot of advice but if yous feel like certain tanks aren't big enough my argue meant would be why do you keep fish ? For the them to go from living in the sea to someone's aquarium no matter how big... It's wrong is it not ? There free out there to go wherever they want surely no home aquarium would ever be enough ? Like I said when it's time I'll get a big tank but for now there doing great in my tank I get my water tested every week and my nitrites nitrates and salt are perfect no ammonia either...believe it or not the guy I go to is probably one of the most caring passionate people I've ever seen with fish he's done a lot of amazing things for them

It was a dramatic example. You don't have that many, but you do have a lot. Plus at fish stores they have a massive filtration system for all their fish. A better example would be when you see a clown, dwarf angel, etc. in a 1 gallon holding box before they are bought. That would horrible to keep a fish in such a confined space for a long time. No need to get into a debate about how horrible it is taking fish out of the ocean to be sold off into confined boxes of glass and plastic, but there are recommended sizes for keeping aggression and waste low and enough room for a fish to have it's own territory. I don't know the guy you buy your fish from, but since he knows all your stock and size of tank and doesn't say anything about it, IMO he is giving bad advice. Everyone has their own way of keeping fish, corals, and inverts, but when you go overboard there is a high chance of problems arising. If people didn't have these experiences or knowledge of the effects of overstocking, they wouldn't be convincing you to give some of your fish away or get a larger tank now. I don't think you need an upgrade in a year or so, I think you need one now if you want to keep your fish. Sure you don't have any problems now with your levels, but it will accumulate over time and as many know, horrible downfalls can happen very quickly.

obscurereef said:
It was a dramatic example. You don't have that many, but you do have a lot. Plus at fish stores they have a massive filtration system for all their fish. A better example would be when you see a clown, dwarf angel, etc. in a 1 gallon holding box before they are bought. That would horrible to keep a fish in such a confined space for a long time. No need to get into a debate about how horrible it is taking fish out of the ocean to be sold off into confined boxes of glass and plastic, but there are recommended sizes for keeping aggression and waste low and enough room for a fish to have it's own territory. I don't know the guy you buy your fish from, but since he knows all your stock and size of tank and doesn't say anything about it, IMO he is giving bad advice. Everyone has their own way of keeping fish, corals, and inverts, but when you go overboard there is a high chance of problems arising. If people didn't have these experiences or knowledge of the effects of overstocking, they wouldn't be convincing you to give some of your fish away or get a larger tank now. I don't think you need an upgrade in a year or so, I think you need one now if you want to keep your fish. Sure you don't have any problems now with your levels, but it will accumulate over time and as many know, horrible downfalls can happen very quickly.

I honestly couldnt agree more. Took the words right out of my mouth. In addition to what he just said, i would like to adress what you said about taking them out of the ocean and us never having a tank big enough. You pretty much co tradicted yourself there because your tank is WAY too small for those fish. And sure, our tanks will never be big enough, but we could al least give them the most space we can, and your tank really isnt cutting it. A 125 gallon tank would be OK

Yeah I do no cause I've been there I had 3 fish that got marine velvet out of nowhere i woke up they were perfect came back 4 hours later and 1was done for tge other was halfway there and my foxface who i still have miraculously recovered i done every test I could think of and we came up with just bad luck 3 fish ? that's not overstocking !? My fish are the best they've been ever im at my max now I dont want any more fish I'm happy with what I've got and tangs are only aggressive when they want the same area or look alike my brother has 2 clows hippo tang sailfin tang and vampire tang in the same tank and they get along really well they never fight and they were added all at different times and they were in 40 litre tank ( there not any more ) and never got aggressive I think people come up with rules for certain species and that's that were as I think there's more to it I think they all have different personalities, I have a good filtration system Including an added on uv filter system, and I would just love if you would explain if fish are so solitary or only stick with there own kind why is my foxface and file fish obsessed with each other ? I choose to think there all different and I never started this thread about over stocking I started it cause my blenny is a **** he's a **** because he can be my powder tang barley got out of the net and he bit her it made no sense whatsoever

Back
Top Bottom