Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
some corals split because of stress? when did i write that? anemones can and do, but i'm not understanding the correlation.

the macroalgae in those 24/7 refugiums is exactly as healthy as the ones in the night/day ones.
sorry...might not be you...but by someone....maybe i read to much.....

Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Just going to throw in one little bit of info. I've heard that if you have a smaller group of anthias in a large it gives them enough room that sometimes one of the females will decide to split off and change to male in an attempt to form his/her own group. I read that quite a while ago so that may not be 100% but i think it was something along those lines. Do some reading on it before you decide to pick up your anthias.

As far as lights go you should be able to keep everything you want. Possibly with the exception of high light clams (bright blue and green are usually a good indication). There may be a few high light SPS that you can keep but may not color up to their full potential favoring feeding as a larger portion of their nutritional requirements.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I switched all the lamps in a 125 reef from the stock lamps in the Nova Extreme (4 10,000Ks and 4 Actinics) to 5 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Purple Plus, and 1 Geisemann Aquablue. The Aquablue is 15,000k. I thought the tank would be 'too blue' but it is actually brighter than before. I could probably swap out 2 of the Blue Plus and put in one more Aquablue and another Purple Plus and it would really be bright and more purple. The Purple Plus and Aquablue really brought out the colors. Check this post

Tank Journal Ė 125 Reef

edit: it does look more 'blue' in the pictures, but in person it looks way better. The 4 10,000Ks really washed out the coral colors.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
not to mention the ATI lamps have a lot more PAR than the current lamps. it's definitely an upgrade.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like I said, when the tank parameters settle down, I will change the lamps to ati's or Geisemann's.I done some rooting around and did find these two brands give of great, if not the best par values for t5 lamps. In the meantime, no corals or clams will be present, so I don't see a problem yet. Floyd, the scrubber is going to be a reality, I always liked trying different ways of doing things. What would be a parts list for making one for this size tank? The sump will be a 30g standard. The anthia's will be alot of research, there are a few other concerns about feeding that go along with them.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biggest thing to consider is the accessibility of the screen. You need to be able to remove it weekly to clean it. Also the dimensions depend on the light source you choose. 24" T5HO lamps is what I use, you can do CFL but you get the most efficient system with T5HO hands down. With a 125 you will need a screen 125 square inches. The dimensions can be whatever you want to fit in the space you have, but the limiting dimension is the width. You need to design the system around the overflow rate, and you want to shoot for 35 GPH per inch of screen width. The issue I ran into is that it is difficult to properly predict the actual flow rate based on pump specs. The Mag12 should run 800-1000 GPH but the one I run actual flow rate is 433 due to improper return hose size (and the associated improper bulkhead). I can get into it more on Friday, I have to crash and drive all day on a work trip tomorrow...
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So a 10x13 screen would do? The plumbing parts are what has me stumped. Do I use the same size piping all the way through or does the header that the screen hangs from need to be larger?
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would cover the square inch requirement (10x13 exposed to light, plus about 3/4" that extends into the tube)

Have you look at designs on algaescruber.net?
Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are the new shots. 50lbs of base rock(waiting on other box) and 180 lbs of sand.

I looked at them and get the construction(feed tube, screen, catch pan.) I just wondered what sized pipe to use that the screen hangs on? Is it larger than the pipe that comes out of the supply pump? when I get that figured out, do I start with a 1/8" slit to feed the screen, then enlarge 1/8' at a time to get ideal flow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0582.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	26466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0583.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	26467  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0584.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	26468  
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

The screen (plastic canvas, 7 mesh) is 1/16" thick. Your slot tube needs to be 1/8" thick and no more, no crosscuts either. The water pressure in the overflow tubing will force the water through the slot. If you don't have an acrylic screen enclosure, then you need to make a blocker to account for sideways spray to protect the lights and eliminate salt creep. If you widen the slot, algae can grow up into the tube and partially block the screen - thus the reason for a 1/8" slot (leaving 1/32" of space on either side of the screen - and this is PLENTY of room for the water to get through).

The SM100 design uses a 3/4" pipe and that works fine. I use a 1" pipe. It really doesn't affect flow rate that much either way. A 1" pipe running at full siphon will push 2000 GPH. A 3/4" pipe has about 56% of the cross section of a 1" pipe, so the flow will be less, but not less than 800 GPH which is what you're shooting for with a 20" wide screen, yours is smaller right now so a 3/4" would be OK.

I would design your around the lamps. If you go CFL with clip-ons, you can do 10x13 and it will probably work fine. If you go T5HO then it would probably be something more like 18x6 or 20x5, and you would get more filtering so you could stock more fish and feed corals more aggressively. Not saying that 10x13 won't work, it will definitely be a good start and you can always upgrade.

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com