Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Start of the 125 reef

I am finally able to start the 125 that has been sitting in my basement for 2 months. It has a nova extreme t5ho light 468w. I have ordered my base rock(100 lbs) to add to the 85lbs of live rock I have already, plus a 4'' deep sand bed. Under this light, would only medium and low light corals work, or could I try my hand at some high light corals as well? I plan on getting a squamosa clam as well. For filtration, I am going sumpless. I am going to use the xp1000s I have already and a couple powerheads. In the future, I would like to try the turf scrubber, but that is a lot of reading and planning away. The fish will be a mandarin(after a year), 3 anthias, 2 clowns, my mccosker's wrasse and my powder brown tang. Plus the cuc, and 2 cleaner shrimp. Everything sound okay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0577.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	26397  

Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

idk about your current set up but liveaquaria says for powder browns use caution on reefs.

how many bulbs does the nova have?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you could keep anything you want under that fixture. i would change out the bulbs to high end lamps like ATI, and giesemann, but you are fine. i've kept powder browns and found them to be quite peaceful. i guess it's up to the fish.

btw, if you are wanting any sort of filtration below the tank (like your turf scrubber) i would drill the tank now. one 1.5" bulkhead is all you are going to need. 4" from the top and 4" in from the corner.
you can't safely use 2 pumps to transfer water out and in, and HOB overflows are unreliable.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the powder brown now and he doesn't bother a thing. I have a flower pot, mushrooms, and polyps. The bulbs are tru lumen(12-39w). My other fixture has icecap bulbs, it is an odysea fixture( not the best butit works). A guy at a lfs told me that to keep any high lights or maxima clams I would need halides or led's. Which I did not want to hear, but it showed he was out for more than just a sale.

MrX, I seen a post you had put up about where to get a make your own overflow kit, do you care to repost that on this thread so I can check it out?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats not true. i know many people, including myself, that's kept acropora, clams, and anything else i wanted under t-5 fixtures.
i would swap out the tru lamps for ATI lamps. they are the best. let me know if you need a bulb color lineup.
good deal drilling the tank! it's easy as heck and you'll love that you did.
Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Doug, thank you very much. I will use the tru lumens for now until the tank settles in and the parameters become workable for corals. As far as a color look goes. I like a white look. The actinic blue doesn't do anything for me. Nothing against it, just don't care for that look. What Kelvin rating would do the job(around 12000k or so?) As far as that not being true, even though he may be wrong, and I hope he was, I thought very highly of him trying to at least steer in a safe direction instead of just making a sale. I guess the high light corals will need to be at the top of the rock pile?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

blue light been choosing because of its nearest colour to the moonlight and make corals growth...but as far as i concern, the light isnt the factor but the gravity from the moon itself...JMO
u may like the light colour but every living creature need time to rest...can u imagine your life without night...??? LOL ....
Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

you'll have to swap out different bulbs until you get the right color for your needs, but ATI aquablue special are nice daylight bulbs i think you'll like.
you'll want a mixture of them and ATI blue plus, and possibly a few others.

the key is to make the corals "pop". to bring as much color out of them as you can. i agree, a super blue tank is a bit much for me too.
moonlight doesn't make corals grow as far as i know, abdhalim. i'd like to know where you read that.
corals that are photosynthetic, like plants, grow from nutrition gained from photosynthetically active radiation, or PAR. this is in daylight, not moonlight.

i'd start all corals out low kdogg, and gradually raise the ones that seem to need it.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

that is what i said.....'moonlights' lights isnt the factor of corals growth....but most of local aquarists that i know here, thinking that moonlight can get the corals growth instead of color itself...because they see their coral open or else (dunno what the word) at night....LOL
i know they need photosyn process which they need less light...that is why u switch off the white light at night.....sorry if u dont understand me and correct me if im wrong...this is what my sis told me...she worked as biochem lab asstant here...so i trust her a lot....LOL
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as starting out low, is the major sign to look for is overextension? The bulbs in it now are 6 10000k and 6 460nm actinics. Its not as blue as the actinics that came in the odysea fixture but maybe around 30% less blue for the lights. I guess around the 16-17k mark would be okay for me. If such a combination existed.

Tags
125 gallon, 125 reef, reef, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com