Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehenry89 View Post
Thank you for the info about the RODI though. We just changed all the cartridges but I am not sure about the one that is only good for 400 gallons. I guess I wwillbuy him a tester and add it to his christmas gift lol.
That would be a wise gift for him. Some hobbyists have changed their ro/di filters only to find later that they installed it incorrectly resulting to high tds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hum actually found an octopus that would fit. Ill have to show him whe I leave work.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A TDS meter costs just a few bucks. Jeff was right, your algae is binding the phosphates before they can register on your test. Fish need to eat, so don't starve them, you need to strike a balance for long term health.

Phosgard is a good start along with aggressive water exchanges. A protein skimmer is a must IMO as it's the aquariums first line of defense in filtration. Live stock like crabs help, but they just recycle the nutrients and more algae grows. Removal of the algae and reducing the available organics is about all that really works. Everything else is a temporary solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I recently pulled about 90% of my rock out, scrubbed it and left it in a closed black container with a pump and a jet for about 6 weeks. I run bioplastics and pure genius in two separate 150s. As for me I think part of my issue were they lights were out of spec, and so I just ordered all new lighting. I also added a lawnmower Blenny and some Mexican turbo and zebra stripe turbos. I was also advised to cut my halides to just 6 hours with blues on one hour before and one hour after the halides go out.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My hermit crab army completely destroyed the algae on my rocks, with some help from my urchin. Turbos are great for that hair crap, and crabs will mop up the rest. I also run a GFO reactor, and haven't had a bloom since.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboyfish View Post
Are you testing the filtered waters TDS? You have a tds meter correct?

Ifnot you need one. You need to monitor the tds after the membrane and after the DI filter. A rodi unit should be producing 0 tds water or something needs replacing.

For instance if you were to test the tds of the water and it showed a tds of 17. Unhook the DI filter and make some water minus the di filter. If the tds of that water is 1-5 tds then you have a bad di filter. If you get a reading higher than that then you have a bad membrane. An old membrane can ruin a DI filter pretty fast.

Quick guide - Results will vary.
sediment filter
- 6~12 months
carbon filter - 6~12 months
RO Membrane - 2 ~ 3 years

(De-Ionized) filter - approx 400gals max

You can pickup a handheld tds meter on ebay for around $25. To test I typically use a new plastic cup let the filter water fall into the cup and test it there. Or you can get a inline tds meter for a bit more.

If I typed all that out for nothing. Next I would look at how effecient your protein skimmer is. I personally wouldn't run a skimmer brand unless bulkreefsupply sells it. I have a Reef Ocotopus.
Ok this is weird. I cut the bottom of a water bottle and put some fresh rodi water in it and it tested at 3. Then the water that is in the butcket that I normally use for the fresh water is testing at 13. I just changed the filters a little over a month ago. I normally leave water in a bucket to use as top off water and that is testing at like 700!!! I have no idea what is going on.

Normally, I make water and put it into a trash can in order to add salt and make sure its at the correct temperature. I usually use the water within a week. Is there something different I should be doing to avoid such a large jump?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Change di resin!

Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Need help!!!

I personally wouldn't worry about a 4. Meter might be off a bit. It also may mean that your filter isn't performing perfectly, but good enough in my opinion. Do you use the color changing resin?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I personally wouldn't worry about a 4. Meter might be off a bit. It also may mean that your filter isn't performing perfectly, but good enough in my opinion. Do you use the color changing resin?

No I dont
Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long can I leave RODI water in a container before I have to get rid of it?

Tags
started, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com