Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've studied this some as my reef gets direct sun from sky lights for a few months each year. And I eventually want to use a combination of "light tubes" and LEDs to light my reef. The light tubes are controllable. The sun has a lot of red in the spectrum and we know algae loves that. But in a nutrient restricted system it doesn't matter that much. I do reduce the overall time period of lights on a bit when I get sun. It has always seemed silly to me to depend solely on artificial light when the sun, with some help, does a fine job. And it's free.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426356774.222093.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	267281

Sun light on the reef.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I've studied this some as my reef gets direct sun from sky lights for a few months each year. And I eventually want to use a combination of "light tubes" and LEDs to light my reef. The light tubes are controllable. The sun has a lot of red in the spectrum and we know algae loves that. But in a nutrient restricted system it doesn't matter that much. I do reduce the overall time period of lights on a bit when I get sun. It has always seemed silly to me to depend solely on artificial light when the sun, with some help, does a fine job. And it's free.

Obviously you know how to handle direct sunlight. Nutrients and specific light wavelenght are the source of algae growth. Cut off any of the 2 and it will hinder their growth. IME after replacing my incandescent bulb with LED in my dining room next to my tank, it had minimized unwanted algae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

We cut down the lights to four hours a day for a good two weeks, it didn't do anything to it.
Here is an updated picture. It seems like the dino is concentrated on the right and some species of green hair algae is concentrated on the left.

The reactors I have running now are running 24/7 and I just replaced the media about 3 weeks ago.

We also updated our skimmer about a month or two ago.
Skimz SN123 Monzter Mini Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply - this is our new skimmer.

I know for a fact that our water has high silicates. I have battled diatomes in my very mature freshwater tank since the day I started it. I would still have issues if I did not have a fish in there cleaning it up for me. That problem has subsided in the saltwater tank since we started to run the phosphate reactor.

We are still doing weekly water changes of about 15% and I try to suck out as much of the dinos as I can.

You think we would be having this issue if we opted to buy live rock instead? : \
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0916[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	267307  
Old 03-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #55
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Rock is live after you cycle the tank. Dinos is a nutrient issue not related to silicates. Silicates will be consumed by diatoms and burn away over time.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehenry89 View Post
We cut down the lights to four hours a day for a good two weeks, it didn't do anything to it.
Here is an updated picture. It seems like the dino is concentrated on the right and some species of green hair algae is concentrated on the left.

The reactors I have running now are running 24/7 and I just replaced the media about 3 weeks ago.

We also updated our skimmer about a month or two ago.
Skimz SN123 Monzter Mini Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply - this is our new skimmer.

I know for a fact that our water has high silicates. I have battled diatomes in my very mature freshwater tank since the day I started it. I would still have issues if I did not have a fish in there cleaning it up for me. That problem has subsided in the saltwater tank since we started to run the phosphate reactor.

We are still doing weekly water changes of about 15% and I try to suck out as much of the dinos as I can.

You think we would be having this issue if we opted to buy live rock instead? : \
What is the knob setting of your Taotronics? Like white fully clockwise? Is your tank next to your house lighting which is on most of the night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ugh, I don't know what to do!
Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
What is the knob setting of your Taotronics? Like white fully clockwise? Is your tank next to your house lighting which is on most of the night?
Nah, no house lights. Just the bedroom light, which is on the ceiling pretty far from the tank. That is on maybe 5 hours a day at night. Only one of the lights is adjustable. The one that is adjustable, it is turned on all the way, yes.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehenry89 View Post
Ugh, I don't know what to do!
Ok, just give me a quick recap of your current issue. I'm sorry but I can't sift throught 6 pages of posts.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADM_Mustang View Post
Ok, just give me a quick recap of your current issue. I'm sorry but I can't sift throught 6 pages of posts.
Oh. Never mind. Let's see... I'm in a Facebook group with Paul Baldassano (he has one of the oldest reef tanks in the world, 44 years old). He gave me the idea for the Algae Turf Scrubber. I've been running one for a few weeks. His article is easy to find. Just google search "Paul Bladassano ATS". His premise, the best way to get rid of unsightly algae is to coax it to grow out of sight (which is fairly easy, considering most species of algae are stupid).

Tags
started, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com