started propagating today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well,after much research and googling, I've decided to try my hand at propagating my corals. I decided to try mushrooms and colts first. I have 3 colt frags now and about 12 shroom frags. This is day two and the colts are already standing back up and the shrooms are already expanding. I don't know how many will survive but I just had to give it a try. The more we can grow on our own the less we take from the ocean. Wish me luck!

The first is a pic of the 3 colt frags attached to lr rubble. THe second is the shroom frags in a tray of cc held down by wedding veil material. Now I know what to do with all the lids that do not have bowls.

very nice and good luck. Hopefully the wife doesnt know you are using her wedding veil, on Valetines Day, to protect your corals. But if she does, and doesnt have a problem, god bless her.

That is a great idea with the tray and the shrooms. I hate doing them individually.

When I do xenia, I put some rubble frags in a speciman container that has holes drilled in it and put the frags on top. They will attach themselves in a few days.

I have always had bad luck attaching shrooms since the pieces are usually smaller. Great idea!

I'm a girl you know. Anyways, I originally only had one frag on that rock but the rubberband cut it in half so I went ahead and put both pieces back on the same rock cause they are so small. I got the tray idea off of the GARF website for the shrooms. They also have xenia propagation where they put all the pieces in a piece of wedding veil then tie the ends together and put the bag in an area of high flow. The pieces eventuall grow through the veil and then you can cut the veil into pieces and attach them via the veil to a rock. That is the best site for prop info.

I'm a girl you know.

So then I'm guessing you don't have a wife?! LOL! I was thinking that when I read the response. I think that we're few and far between in this sea of men!

I had some Xenia sitting on a toothpick on a rock. Before I left for vacation it had just started to touch down onto the rock (I didn't manage to get it all the way down onto the rock when I pushed it over the toothpick). When I got home it had come down onto the rock and moved away from the toothpick by a good inch or so, leaving not even a trace of a path. Very strange little animal there!

I have a beautiful mushroom. It is huge (5-6" across) and I'd love to frag it but I'm so fearful of losing it all together that I just don't have the nerve. It is the only one of its kind that I own. I'm not sure how new mushrooms grow, but there look to be small nub like things on the rock just under the shroom so I'm hoping that it will have a couple of babies. Then I won't mind messing with mom!

That is the best site for prop info
Agreed...What type of shrooms are you propagating? Did they slime up pretty bad? I hear the longer tentacled shrooms slime up pretty good and are more prone to protazoan infections, that's why most people prop in a tank other than their main. I did some red pimpled and green/purple metalics in my main and had no problems. Was stressed the whole time, but worth it in the long run. Gonna try ricordeas next? Good Luck electrikat.

Grow your own, save a Reef!

You can also prop by cutting the mom off leaving a little stub of the stalk. The stub will grow a new one and you can just put mom(whole) in a new location without cutting her up. This is how they do it on their own. That's why when the rock gets crowded the big ones will detach and float off and a new one will grow where that one was.

I did some reddish ones with purple/blue spots and I did one of the big hairy flourescent green ones. I fragged them in a bowl and then put them in the 20g, not back into the main. I also added fresh GAC to catch any toxins etc that they might have been releasing.

I have a beautiful mushroom. It is huge (5-6" across) and I'd love to frag it but I'm so fearful of losing it all together that I just don't have the nerve.
If you don't want to cut it up into pieces, you can just cut the cap off (relocate cap), and you will get another one or two that just grow from the piece left on the LR. I just slice the pieces left on the LR in half or quarters and you get a single shroom from each piece. You'd be surprised how quickly these guys can grow back.

I felt kinda bad about the hairy ones cause they are the ones my clowns have decided to host in . I downsized their home and I'm sure they noticed, they were giving me dirty looks this morning. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom