Starter Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popo559

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to start adding corals to my 100 gallon tank. I am lighting the tank with (2) 260 watt lights. Each 48" strip contains (2) 65 watt white bulbs and (2) 65 watt actinic. Looking for a little advice on what I should consider and what can live in the limited lighting that I have. Thanks

Mushrooms, GSP, xenia, zoos, leathers, are some of the easiest to keep. If you keep the higher light corals high in the tank you can keep about anything except acros etc.

I started out with some zoanthids, and I love them. They come in nice color combos, and really add something to look at into the tank. Best of all, they are easy to care for.

look it up. They contain playtoxin one of the most deadly substances to man. Just a small amout thru a cut in the skin can kill.

Do soem research. I am telling you the truth.

I have read up on this a bit and from what I can see it seems that not all zoos have the truly deadly form of toxin. There are several different species of zoos and apparently only some have the kind of toxin that can kill. From what I read it looks like the truly toxic variaties are not usually available to the aquarium hobbyist for obvious reasons.

The articles I read did say though that aquarium zoos can be somewhat toxic but it generally seemed to be limited to numbness in hands and fingers and stuff like that. So care should obviously be taken but I don't think people need to freak out if they have zoos in their tank.

I am not trying to scare people only inform them. I have read in very well know coral books that the majority of zoos contain toxin. SOme are worse than others but most have soem form or another of playtoxin.

I have also read stories on other boards where a guys dog stuck his nose in a rubbermaid bin where he was holding some polyps. 8 hours later the dog was dead. I would post a link but it is against the rules of this board.

Tust me I think in most cases people probably are ok. But the fact remains that if yo uare workign with zoos you should wear gloves and wash your hands. I bite my nails and always have cuts and stuff on my fingers so I am goign to take extra precaution from here on in.

I read that same thread about the dog. There was some interesting information about zoanthid poisoning. Just search google for "zoanthids dog" to find out more.

Obviously, we have all survived. Yes, the toxins are a danger, but nothing that a good hand washing/wearing gloves/use of common sense, won't prevent. For all the panic some are trying to instill, they are still one of the most popular corals purchased second probably only to mushrooms.

I have fraqged them several times without gloves. Just wash your hands good afterwards. I fragged some zoo's just yesteray and nothing happened to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

I am nto tryign to scare or worry pwople. Jsut inform.

Everybody has free will and can do what they want. I am jsut sayign I will be careful.

Back
Top Bottom