Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starter fish

Finally got my tank together, just waiting for it to cycle. Its a 28 gallon and when its cycled what fish do you advise me to get as im planning on getting 1 fish and 1 small cleaner shrimp. I know a clown fish is good but i plan on getting two and think if i introduce them together they will have a better chance of bonding

Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni111
Finally got my tank together, just waiting for it to cycle. Its a 28 gallon and when its cycled what fish do you advise me to get as im planning on getting 1 fish and 1 small cleaner shrimp. I know a clown fish is good but i plan on getting two and think if i introduce them together they will have a better chance of bonding
That's a good idea.. that what I've always done and had great success.. you can stock a bunch of differnt invertabrates and shrimp.. u could add up to another 2 types of smaller fish as well watchmen goby . blennys dawrf angels.. just post ur stocking list and im sure poeple will reply.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I really like the dwarf angels but ive read there best introduced last to your tank, because they will get terrotorial against new fish or am i wrong ? Probably thinking on a goby at first
Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I really like the dwarf angels but ive read there best introduced last to your tank, because they will get terrotorial against new fish or am i wrong ? Probably thinking on a goby at first
I havnt heard of the dwarf angels being that way..if your going goby which u should especially after cycle it will keep that sand clean from ditrus
Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah think i will and on www.liveaquaria.com the dwarf flame angel fish that i really like it says : "If the Flame Angelfish is to be added to a peaceful community, it should be the last fish introduced." Also a question on puffers... I know about the personality of them and the space needed but is there definatley not a puffer i could have to fit in with a nice community or are they too aggresive. At my lfs they said they had only a small puffer and it attacked most fish it was with and had to be in a tank of its own.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah think i will and on www.liveaquaria.com the dwarf flame angel fish that i really like it says : "If the Flame Angelfish is to be added to a peaceful community, it should be the last fish introduced." Also a question on puffers... I know about the personality of them and the space needed but is there definatley not a puffer i could have to fit in with a nice community or are they too aggresive. At my lfs they said they had only a small puffer and it attacked most fish it was with and had to be in a tank of its own.
I was thinking bi color.. but good job doing research!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally wouldn't have any type of puffer in less then. 70 gallon tank
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

The angels can be a bit territorial, but not too bad. They mostly spar with each other and my tangs in my reef, but no damage is done. Look into some wrasses, gobies and basslets. I would not add a puffer fish.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah i wont add any puffer then. and thinks for the info on the angels think im going to go with a gobie or a blennie with a few inverts then 2 clowns and probably one more then the angel
Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I prefer the Coral Beauty angel. They are reef safe(r). The Flame can be a hit or miss as to picking on polyps.
None of the other angels are very suitable to a reef system. I have a current collection of angels and over the years I have owned most of the varieties of dwarf angels. They like to spar with each other, regardless of when and how they are added. I think having lots of hiding holes and lots of distractions from other fish and you will be fine.

Tags
starter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com