starting 100g reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neastil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have FOWLR right now but want to start a reef tank and am wondering about the lighting . My 100g is 60x18x20 will :

2- 150 Metal Halide 15k HQI Double Ended bulbs (300 watts)
4 - 65 watt power compact actinic (blue) bulbs (260 watts)
6 watts of Blue Lunar Led bulbs

work well? Any feedback would b much appreciated,
Thanks

Well, IMO yes. I have purely PC lighting in a smaller 14G Biocube and it's bleh at best. But they also aren't very efficient (Lose a lot of usable inside the tube) and not very strong, also replacement bulbs are somewhat pricey compared to say something like T5s

Hmmm , I bought that unit on ebay waiting for it to b delivered. I converted this 100g from freshwater so been running two 40w T8's so it gotta look better than what i have. I'll have 5.6 w per gallon with it so hopefully the useable light loss wont b an issue...

Can you give me a web address of the lighting? For the first time ever, I found another person that has a 100g reef tank. Same dimensions as mine. But without the reef. I would really appreciate help on lighting. That's all I need left in my list of things to buy.

150 watt halides will limit you. the power compacts will supplement slightly, and the LEDs are worthless. what do you intend to keep? softies and LPS? if so, it's fine for that. sps/clams/anemones is not going to work.

Back
Top Bottom