Starting a 20 gal nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As mentioned, you will need to wait a little longer before you add an anemone. They are very delicate creatures who can not tolerate swings in parameters, most people suggest 8 months to a year. What kind of lighting do you have? I would say get rid of the canister and invest in a couple of power heads, keep up your weekly PWC. Sounds like your doing a fish in cycle, not a great life for the fish but some people do it. You testing through the cycle?

I have two HO T5 lights right now but I was shown some sweet led lights that I'm going to invest in and especially if I'm not going to add an anemone for 8 months. I decided to add the fish after testing the water and seeing it had change to 0 ammonia and a .025 nitrite

Oh ok, that's an awfully quick cycle. Did you see amm spike? How much live rock do you have? Post some pics! And make sure to post here the specs on those LEDs. There are loads of people here who can give you advise based on personal experience, take advantage of them!

I had a small spike of ammonia after about 2-3days. I have about 15 lb of rock, 2" of live sand and someone mangroves. I also got some bio balls from my friends tank that has been up for about a year. The lights that I was recommended was the TaoTronics TT-AL09 Dimmable Aquarium Coral Reef LED Growlight

Here are some pictures nothing to exciting.

Attachments

• image-1085946797.jpg
    image-1085946797.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3651699110.jpg
    image-3651699110.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image-215935082.jpg
    image-215935082.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 74
The tank looks nice. :) Since you're doing a fish-in cycle, test ammo and Trites daily and if either goes above 0.25, you'll need to do a PWC to bring it down so the fish don't die. Getting the bio balls from your friend will probably speed up the Cycle a good bit, so that's a plus!! :) I used media from my 55g to cycle my 30g, and it only took 11days. :) Much better than the 4 weeks it took for the 55g.

Back
Top Bottom