Starting a 40 Gallon Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys I know this may sound stupid but iam wondering if I can start my cycle before I get my live rock next week or if I have to wait?

Wait. Adding the rock will kick off another cycle anyways. Best off to just wait. You wouldnt accomplish anything starting now.

I agree, add the live rock and start your cycle. The live rock will be a great help in the process so best to get it all together and then cycle.

Good luck!!

Ok so the person sold the live rock out from under me too bad it was only 1$ per pound but I found another source for 5$ per pound will 10lbs be ok to start my cycle until I get the remaining 10lbs?

And when it comes to cycling do I go about it the same way as fresh dose pure ammonia to 4ppm and wait for my trite spike, then wait for trates to develop.(in simplest terms lol)?

Ok so it didn't take long for an upgrade I switched to a 40 gallon squat and I love the tank but I only have 20lbs of live rock this should do for now I will gradually add more as I see good deals I dont know if it's the live rock or what's going on but I can convert 4-5 ppm of ammonia to nitrates in 24hrs is this normal when using live rock it's only been about a week?

I also ordered another oddesea fixture from eBay I use them on my planted tanks with no complaints so I ordered a 4 bulb fixture with led moon lights for 100$

Yes normal. Means your cycle is over. Wait for ammonia and nitrite to be 0 and stop adding ammonia or your going to end up with a huge nitrate problem.

Schism said:
Yes normal. Means your cycle is over. Wait for ammonia and nitrite to be 0 and stop adding ammonia or your going to end up with a huge nitrate problem.

Ok so they are 0 now so I should do a big water change to get my nitrates to 0 and add a few fish to start?

Yes water changes until nitrates are zero. No fish till then. When nitrates are zero add one fish, not a few. Must start slow, problems happen extremely fast in small tanks. Add slow allowing your biological filtration to build up and so your tank can stabilize.

Moving too fast is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Schism said:
Yes water changes until nitrates are zero. No fish till then. When nitrates are zero add one fish, not a few. Must start slow, problems happen extremely fast in small tanks. Add slow allowing your biological filtration to build up and so your tank can stabilize.

Moving too fast is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.

Ok agreed I did upgrade to a 40 gallon but there is only 3 fish I am set on a pair of clowns and a firefish so which do you think I should add first

If only those three then i would add the firefish first. Clowns if you want a pair are best when added at same time. Either way it probably wont matter much. Even if you add both clowns first it should be ok but give it a few weeks then before adding anything else.

Schism said:
If only those three then i would add the firefish first. Clowns if you want a pair are best when added at same time. Either way it probably wont matter much. Even if you add both clowns first it should be ok but give it a few weeks then before adding anything else.

That's why I asked cause I knew I had to add the clowns at once I want to play it safe and add the firefish first but that one small fish will have a small bio load and I might lose bb but if I add the two clowns it might be too much at once Iam in a little pickle here

You live rock will not lose BB. It will increase with any additional bioload. Adding both clowns at once first will not hurt. Just making sure there is plenty of time before the next addition is advised.

The first 6 months of a tank will go through wild changes. Minimizing these changes for the first year is the goal, and moving slow helps that.

Its not uncommon to take a year or more to stock a tank fully. Not sure if you have ever heard of new and old tank syndrome but it might be good a good google search for ya while you enjoy your two clowns and learn what to expect those first 6-12 months. This hobby relies on money and patience. Without them your gonna have some difficulties lol.

I have heard of it but I will have a google and I am fine with my clowns for quite a while and I get the money thing I am at 1200$ or so just this far I see more cash disappearing soon lol

Well today I picked up another 23 lbs of live rock, a fluval e300 heater, a sea clone skimmer rated 100gallon tank, lots of additives calcium, coralline ect.., food an aqua clear 50 power head, another fluval2 underwater filter for 60$ on Kijiji I thought it was a steal lol

And my order of a nano rio skimmer which I ordered before I bought this used one and a 4 bulb t5 fixture should be here Monday lol

Big week for me lol

Is the sea clone skimmer any good the price tag says 149.99 and it's unopened?

Sea clone is the worst skimmer ever created by anyone lol. Try to sell it to the first person that offers you money for it

Hondatek said:
Sea clone is the worst skimmer ever created by anyone lol. Try to sell it to the first person that offers you money for it

I would sell it, much better you can by for 150. Look at reef octopus Hob skimmers. Much better and same price if not cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom