Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Now you see the sump picture on the right where should I place my skimmer,heater ect and what media and where to place it I would like to put my skimmer in the first compartment to reduce micro bubbles they are driving me crazy

Also I am running an ac20 on the tank do I need it with my 2 skimmers and 45lbs of live rock?

Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
Now you see the sump picture on the right where should I place my skimmer,heater ect and what media and where to place it I would like to put my skimmer in the first compartment to reduce micro bubbles they are driving me crazy

Also I am running an ac20 on the tank do I need it with my 2 skimmers and 45lbs of live rock?
You don't really need the power filter, but if it has carbon in it and you keep it clean, it can't hurt either.
Yeah, you'll want the skimmer in the first section, with the filter sock. Heater can go in the last, with the return pump. And it looks like the middle section is a great place for some media. I don't run any media right now, as I'm looking into a couple reactors. One GFO, for phosphates, and one for carbon. I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting what to use, because I don't know what would be best in a sump. Someone else could help you out more with that, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer

You don't really need the power filter, but if it has carbon in it and you keep it clean, it can't hurt either.
Yeah, you'll want the skimmer in the first section, with the filter sock. Heater can go in the last, with the return pump. And it looks like the middle section is a great place for some media. I don't run any media right now, as I'm looking into a couple reactors. One GFO, for phosphates, and one for carbon. I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting what to use, because I don't know what would be best in a sump. Someone else could help you out more with that, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong.
Ok thanks for the honesty so you use your sump just to hide your gear and for the extra volume?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #74
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Though a fuge rather than a sump, i cant picture one without some macro algae to help with nitrates. But added volume and housing equipment is the reason for a sump.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Ok thanks for the honesty so you use your sump just to hide your gear and for the extra volume?
Well, I have a sump and a fuge tied together, with separate returns. Right now the sump is just a filter sock and my skimmer. The fuge is 3-4" sandbed, live rock, and Macro. The only type of media in their right now is a phosphate pad at the fuge intake, just to help with phosphates, temporarily. Together they are 5' long.
When I got this tank (180), I had to build all filtration, overflows included, so I went with a big set-up, allowing me space for future equipment upgrades.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Perfect thanks

Something weird happened tonight during my water test I was dosing my ammonia to 6ppm
I test after each 5ml of ammonia the first two looked normal 1 at .5 the other at 2 then the third turned blue????? I have never seen this with API any thoughts???

From my research I added to much ammonia and now it's off the chart that why I am seeing the blue color should I change some water or let the cycle convert it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1080029088.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	103905  
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

As for test kits I have a saltwater and reef mater test kits and copper test kit all API is there anymore I need I am doing another order so I want to get anything else I may need thanks
Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #78
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I had my ammonia test turn blue when I overdosed my tank.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What are all the test kits I need besides saltwater and reef masters and copper?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What are all the test kits I need besides saltwater and reef masters and copper?
That should cover it. Copper test os not needed unless you suspect copper got in your water somehow. But if i were you i would pick up a few salifert test kits for double checking or main use for the parameters checked often such as nitrates, ph, alk and calcium. Also one thing not included in the API kits is a magnesium kit which i highly recommend picking up.

Tags
40 gallon, reef, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com