starting a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
well im converting my fresh water tank into a salt water tank, im just wondering what kind of skimmer that you all would suggest, i am going too eventualy have the soft corals and some live rock that was killed by sitting in the sun for my base and live rock at the top, any info on salt water tanks would be great.

for got too mention its a 70gal tank, and if you have any fish ideas please post them, but the tank will have an anenome and 2 clowns when the tank is mature enuff too have the anenome.

I don't know too much about anenomes, but for a 70 gallon tank I'd suggest a canister filter. I have a 75 gallon tank and I just use a filter. I have a fluval and it's real quiet. Then maybe get a pump and put it on the other side of the tank to move the water around. For live rock you could think about getting a protein skimmer, but it's not necessarily necessary for that size of tank. Get a moderately priced one. Get about 2 watts of heat for every gallon. a 150 or 200 watt heater will be good enough. With filters, don't get a cheap one. 2 clowns would be good, but make sure they're the same type otherwise they'll most likely fight. I've had good like with my percula

I have a 75 gallon tank that i'm trying to set up also....the guy at the LFS suggested i get two canister filters, that way when i'm cleaning one of them the other one will still be running. These are large canister filters....do i even need a protein skimmer at all? i'm planning on having a variety of creatures in the tank.

the protein skimmer removes stuff that the canister filters wont remove, you should only need one canister filter of the right rating and oinly clean some of ther filter media at a time not all of it.

Back
Top Bottom