Starting a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bowie41

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking for information on starting a reef system for my 20 gallon tank. Any links to good websites with info would help. Thanks!!

Here is a good start. Have you done sw at all before? A reef?

What kind of fish are you thinking of?
What kind of corals?
Any ideas on filtration so far?
Any equipment so far?

Yes I've done sw before, not reef though. I have a 30g bio-wheel filter. T5 high output lighting, I currently have a yellow tang, black trigger, and tomato clown fish. They are small but The trigger is aggressive so he is gonna be relocated.

Are you rehoming the other two fish as well? They should be in bigger tanks IMO.

I wouldn't use the HOB, at least not with the regular filter media. Stick with more natural filtration. In most tanks the live rock should be about 80% of your filtration, the rest coming from a skimmer and refugium. On a 20 you can probably skip the skimmer and rely on a healthy water change schedule. Without a sump or HOB fuge you may have to skip the fuge too, making water changes that much more important.

If you are starting new just drill the tank, don't use overflow boxes. They are a great way to add a sump to a running tank, but if you are doing it from the beginning and have the chance, do it right.

I wouldn't do a canister on a sw tank. They trap a lot of debris and tend to get neglected, turning into a nitrate factory. In a reef natural filtration should do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom