Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Starting All Over

My tank crashed a few months ago due to disease that wiped out everything. I had picked up a Lawnmower Blenny, and instead of putting it into a QT I had put it straight into the main tank. Well it brought in Marine Velvet, and precided to wipe out everything in my tank.

Yesterday I replaced the crushed coral with about forty pounds of Fiji dark sand. I replaced about five gallons of water this afternoon, and plan on testing tomorrow morning. I also replaced the filter, and will be picking up a new skimmer next month. I need to do some rearranging of my LR about thirty pounds for my thirty gallon tank. All of the LR was already in the tank left over from the fall out. But it does seem everytime I start moving the rock around all of the sand starts to cloud up the tank. It's so bad that I can't see anything in the tank. So my question to the my fellow board members is does this sand settle down in time or should I expect this everytime I want to move some rock around?

JeffX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The sand will eventually settle, but you will have a little disturbance when you move the rock, that is normal.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Sounds normal to me
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
It will "cloud" the tank temporarily , you may add an additional filter for a bit to help catch the free floating particles , then you can rinse the sponge and dry it for use later .. I also tend to drain a bit out and rearrange it then add the water back slowly via tubes . This may not work for you but it works well for us , the dust storms how ever are normal as the others have said
Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64

That is very normal and will settle down. Sorry to hear about your previous loss. You have found the right site and if you have any problems, there are a lot of folks with a lot of experience, hopefully, you won't have another terrible experience. I applaud you getting back into the hobby!
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well thanks for the welcome and advice on the sand issue. I've done some moving around and things have settled down considerably. All levels are looking good, but I'm still not going to be putting in any fish until next month sometime. I have no doubt I killed alot of benefical bacteria when I removed the CC, and replaced with the sand.

JeffX is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com