Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting all over again

So a couple of weeks back I got brown jelly over my duncan coral. This i think infected my toadstall and some other corals . In the end I threw them out as they looked in a bad way.(especially my toadstall) during this time I was suffering from bad cyno and algae. My tank is only three months old so u was expecting it. I did water tests and all were very good. On Monday I completely blacked out my tank for 3 days, now the cyno is completely gone but my nitrate has risen as it would because the cyno and algae were consuming it. If i do regular w/c and get nitrate down to 0 would my cyno come back? I am limiting my lights to 8 hours. I'm scared to put other corals in my tank incase I had some other bacteria in there. When could I start adding again? Also my finger coral looks good but has some black stuff on one if it's fingers? Any thoughts on my many questions? Thank you

Old 01-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It is interesting what you have stated about brown jelly. This is normally something you only hear about with torch, frogspawn, and hammer coral. You are sure it was on your leather coral and it wasn't cyano growing ontop of it?
Either way, in terms of keeping cyano from returning you have started the corrective action. Aim for 0 nitrate and phosphate, cut back on feeding to prevent these number from rising.
In terms of the finger coral, see if it will blow off. If so, sounds like cyano. If not and it starts to spread, it might be in your interest to cut those parts off of the finger leather. But we can cover that once we ID what is going on.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for your reply, I will post a picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390686359.398054.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	218806
Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, I don't see anything black or needing fragged off. Is not a happy coral though. At this point, I would assume that this is coming from the increase in levels from the black out and there not being cyano atm.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

On the right bottom there is black and yes it's coming back from the darkness. Can you zoom in on it?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Keep an eye on it. If it spreads, you can cut it out with scissors.

Tags
star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com