Starting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK I got everything I need to start up my tank except the live rock. It wont be till next Friday that I will be able to get the rock. Would it be better to wait or go ahead and get the tank going? I figured it would help clear everything and start on the cycling.

You can cycle a tank with never adding any live rock which is what I did on my 20g extra high seahorse tank due to hitchhikers so imo if you've already got some base rock is start it up and add the live rock when you get it..won't hurt anything maybe save you a couple days on cycle time too

Awesome, ill be out of town for 2 1/2 weeks so it will work out perfect!

In 2 and a half weeks if you provide an ammonia source without live rock you should expect to have good nitrIte readings by then

Ya I was hoping it would be completely cycled! I'm going to add 30-40 lbs of live rock and the beneficial bacterial additive before I leave!

Ya no way on that lol my seahorse tank with 0 live rock took 8 and a half weeks.. just couldn't get conversion from nitrites for EVER haha

Well with all the live rock and stuff, it should be a lot faster! Most of the rock will be coming from a tank at my lfs

If you did all live rock then it would pretty much be cycled you would just deal with some spikes due to die off

Awesome! The die off wont matter since ill be gone so long! I'm going to go ahead and add a raw piece of shrimp!

Back
Top Bottom