Starting my first reef tank. Pls tag along and help. Pls...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PotysGSXR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I just recently found AquariumAdvice.com and this is my first post! As the king of newbs, I had some questions about my new setup. I just finished (after about 2 months of plumbing, buying, pulling out hair, etc.) my 34g hex and 5g sump. I'm using an Eheim 1262 for return and water flow, a AquaC urchin with maxijett 1200 for a protein skimmer. I'm still having a few issues and questions here and there and was hoping for some help.

My params are...

Water - RO
Temp - 79
Salinity - 1.025
Nitrite - .5
Nitrate - 3 or 4
PH - 8.5
Alk - 8
Free Ammonia - >0.1
Total Ammonia - 0.1

I'm still having microbubble issues, and no matter what I try, it still persists. I've pretty much just given up on it at this point. I was wondering if anyone here has microbubble issues that cause harm or unwanted effects to their livestocks.

I ordered LR from LRs.com and LS from saltwaterfish.com but it won't get here until tuesday. Do you have to acclimate LR or LS in any way? Do you put any kind of food in to feed the "rock"?

Thanks everyone!

I saw a website where this guy used a nylon stocking at the outlet of his skimmer to reduce micro bubbles. Have you tried this?

Well actually, the skimmer itself is giving me no problems at all. I think it's the return from the tank. I minimized the bubbles by around 95% by adding a filter sock but it still persists. It's also from the plumbing I think on the way up to the tank. I tightened everything with hoseclamps but even then it wasn't working.

I sealed all my pvc with pvc cement, you could give that a shot. If you try that, just make sure you get the cleaner too and let it cure for a couple days.

I didn't use any pvc at all. It's all flexible tubing. That's why I just ended up hose clamping everything together. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom