Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

it was actually one that had been there awhile, i dug down into the bottom of the tank . haha made sure i got a good one

Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol, well im sure its coralline

the LR at our LFS doesnt stay around long enough to get coralline, barely even has time to cure lol

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol thats one of the pluses about not livin in a huge town, and the store bein downtown haha, nobody goes to it alot cause most peopledont know about it
Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

So i checked all my levels today after having done a 5g water change yesterday, and my ammonia is down to ~0, my nitrite is trace, and my nitrates are 0.

But I did have a question, can the API tap water conditioner cause Ph to rise? if not what else can? As my Ph before was ~8. I got 5g of water, used the conditioner on it, let it sit a few minutes, then mixed up the salt into it to the proper SG. But now my Ph seems to be ~8.1 or 8.2, and other than what is stated nothing else was changed.

I'm not worried about the Ph level, as I was going to try to raise it, what I'm worried about is the random rise in it.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
gas exchange at the water surface can raise ph. if you moved a power head perhaps, that might be enough to do it.
btw, i vote for getting the best light now. i've always started out with the right lighting, and haven't had any issues with algae. just keep the water clean.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

i did fill my tank a little higher this time, so my HOB filter isnt flowing down and bubbling into the aquarium, instead its hitting the water and sort of rolling out of the filter. maybe thats what caused it
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #37

Why are you using water conditioner? Are you using tap water to make saltwater? If so you are probably setting yourself up for serious problems with algae. If you are using RO/DI you don't need the conditioner.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm using tap water yes, my parents used the same water with their aquarium and never had any problems, so hopefuly I wont either, if anything just some extra water changes/cleaning. My local petsmart has a RO but right now I don't have the money for it. May look into it when I get my tax return.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the trouble with tap water is that you are putting in "algae fuel" with every water change. it can be an up hill battle for some.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

ahhh, this would probably explain why the diatoms i got rid of by doin a pwc, came back with a vengeance.

are there any brands that yall would recommend over others? for ro/di? what does di stand for btw?

Tags
coral, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com